In a poll of more than 6,000 US adults, America’s favorite pizza topping is pepperoni. About two-thirds (64%) of Americans say they like this topping. Other popular additions among US adults are sausage (56%), mushrooms (54%), extra cheese (52%), and onions (48%).
What is the most popular pizza topping in America?
According to the research, 52 percent of Americans surveyed said pepperoni is one of their three favorite pizza toppings. Thirty-four percent included sausage in their top three, and 31 percent listed mushrooms. Bacon and plain/mozzarella cheese each were named top-three picks by 20 percent of respondents.
What is the UK’s favourite pizza topping?
In at No.1, the humble ‘shroom is officially the favourite pizza topping for the people of Britain. Whether the result of foodie trends towards vegetarianism or just a renewed love for the fungi, mushrooms edged out ham this year for the topping of choice for 65% of Brits. 2. Onions
Is pepperoni the best pizza topping?
Pepperoni is a top-three pizza topping for 52 percent of Americans, according to a new YouGov survey. Pizza toppings are often a source of heated discussion among Americans. While the great pineapple debate is a classic example, other controversial choices include anchovies, strawberries and even Peeps.
What are your favorite pizza topping preferences?
Pizza topping preferences vary by age and location. According to YouGov’s data, people in the West are more likely to pick pineapple as a favorite pizza topping, and people 18 to 34 years old also tend to be more into pineapple.
What is the 2nd most popular pizza topping?
Whatever option is chosen, it seems, we love sausage on our pizza. 34 percent of those surveyed named it as one of their top three toppings. That makes sausage the second most popular topping out there.
What is the least popular pizza topping?
Anchovies get a big thumbs-down from a significant majority of American pizza lovers, according to a survey by YouGov. Sixty-one percent said anchovies are their least favorite pizza topping, followed by eggplant, artichokes, broccoli and pineapple, according to a YouGov survey.
What is the most popular pizza topping in the UK?
Top of the toppings: Pepperoni revealed as the UK’s favourite pizza. Taking the biggest piece of the pie as the nation’s favourite pizza is pepperoni, beating ham and pineapple, meat feast and margherita to the top 10. With 18% of the votes for pepperoni, the nation has shown that classics never go out of style.
What are the top 5 most popular pizzas?
A Guide to Making the Five Most Iconic Pizzas of All Time
- Margherita Pizza. Margherita is the mother of all pizzas.
- Pepperoni Pizza. We’d wager that pepperoni is still America’s number-one, most-popular pizza topping.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza.
- Hawaiian Pizza.
- Meat-Lover’s Pizza.
What are the three most popular toppings for pizza?
The top three meats are, in order, pepperoni, sausage, and bacon. But check out these percentages: Pepperoni received over twice as many votes as sausage, and sausage received over twice as many votes as bacon, which only received 8.5% of the votes.
What is America’s favorite pizza toppings?
Most Popular Pizza Toppings
- Pepperoni. This may not come as a surprise, but pepperoni is by far the most popular pizza topping in the United States.
- Extra Cheese. Also a classic, many Americans order extra cheese on their pies.
- Black Olives.
- Green Peppers.
What day is the most pizza ordered?
Halloween is one of the top five busiest days for ordering pizza including Super Bowl Sunday, Thanksgiving Eve, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
What is the most popular day of the year to order pizza?
Why? Well, oddly enough, the day before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest days of the year for pizza sales. In fact, only Super Bowl Sunday, New Year’s Eve and Halloween see more pies sold than Thanksgiving Eve. With so much food available around Thanksgiving, why pizza you may ask.
What is the most popular pizza chain in America?
Pizza chains in the U.S. with the highest sales 2019
With sales worth approximately 7.04 billion U.S. dollars, Domino’s Pizza was the leading pizza restaurant chain in the United States in 2019. Pizza Hut and Little Caesars were ranked second and third, respectively.
What’s a Sicilian style pizza?
Traditional Sicilian pizza is often thick crusted and rectangular, but can also be round and similar to the Neapolitan pizza. It is often topped with onions, anchovies, tomatoes, herbs and strong cheese such as caciocavallo and toma. Other versions do not include cheese.
What is the best style of pizza?
Which Type of Pizza Is the Best?
- Sicilian Pizza. Sicilian-style pizzas are thick and bready, practically a focaccia with extra toppings.
- Neapolitan Pizza.
- Roman-Style Pizza.
- New York Thin Crust Pizza.
- Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza.
- New Haven-Style Clam Pizza.
- Detroit Red Top Pizza.
Americans’ Favorite Pizza Toppings, Revealed
Pizza toppings are frequently the subject of intense debate amongst the American public.A classic example is the great pineapple controversy, but other contentious foods include anchovies, strawberries, and even Peeps, according to some sources.YouGov released some fresh information in honor of National Pizza Day, including information on Americans’ preferred pizza toppings.
- Overall, the meat is the star of the show.
- According to the findings of the study, pepperoni is one of the top three pizza toppings preferred by 52 percent of Americans polled.
- Thirty-four percent of respondents named sausage as one of their top three choices, while 31 percent mentioned mushrooms.
- Bacon and plain/mozzarella cheese were both recognized as the top-three choices by 20 percent of those who took part in the survey.
- Anchovies, on the other hand, were named as one of the least preferred pizza toppings by 49 percent of those who took part in the poll.
- In addition, eggplant (which was despised by 30% of respondents), pineapple (which was disliked by 24% of respondents), and artichokes (which were disliked by 12% of respondents) were in the bottom (24 percent).
- The toppings that people like on their pizza differ depending on their age and where they live.
The research from YouGov shows that pineapple is a popular pizza topping for individuals in the Western world, and that those between the ages of 18 and 34 are more likely to enjoy pineapple.At the same time, just 9 percent of Americans 55 and older picked the tropical fruit as their favorite topping, while another 28 percent listed it as one of their least favorites.Another noteworthy split is the popularity of olives, which is discussed more below.According to the study respondents, 12 percent consider them to be a favorite, while 14 percent consider them to be a least favorite.In a similar vein, 8 percent of respondents said chicken was their favorite dish, while 6 percent said it was their least favorite.
- Putting aside debates about toppings, pizza continues to be quite popular in the United States, with 73 percent of respondents stating that they normally eat pizza at least monthly, with 21 percent stating that they eat it at least weekly.
- Those between the ages of 18 and 34 are nearly three times as likely as those between the ages of 55 and 64 to report that they consume pizza at least once a week.
- YouGov PLC panel of 1.2 million persons who have consented to take part in surveys was used to conduct this poll, which was performed online using an internet interview delivered to panel members.
- Check out the complete breakdown of pizza statistics on YouGov for even more intriguing information.
The UK’s 10 Most Popular Pizza Toppings
The results have been released! No matter where you stand on the ‘pineapple on pizza’ issue, or what you think constitutes a meat-filled meal, the results of a YouGov study conducted in 2017 have definitely confirmed which pizza toppings the United Kingdom enjoys the most. So brace yourself, for some of the outcomes may take you completely by surprise!
Toppings with Mushrooms | Papa John’s The humble’shroom has officially been crowned the most popular pizza topping in the United Kingdom, coming in at number one. No matter if it is a result of gourmet trends toward vegetarianism or just an increase in interest in mushrooms, mushrooms have surpassed ham as the preferred topping among 65 percent of British people this year.
Onions | Papa John’s Pizza, Inc. Did you know that onions have been cultivated for more than 7000 years throughout human history? Despite the tears, it appears that humans and this multi-layered vegetable will be BFFs forever, since the onion is the second most popular pizza topping in the United Kingdom.
There are so many mouth-watering combinations to choose from, it’s no surprise that 61 percent of us would top every pizza with a perfectly sliced piece of ham or ham and pineapple. Bacon, on the other hand, did not do well in the poll – just 49 percent of respondents said it was their favorite pizza topping, despite the fact that we believe bacon is an excellent addition to any pizza.
An order of Pepperoni Pizza from Papa John’s.Pepperoni is a popular pizza topping in the United States, with half of all orders including this spicy sausage.Pepperoni is also a popular pizza topping in the United Kingdom, with 56 percent of respondents naming it as their favorite.
- Also using pepperoni is the ″Pizza for Lovers″ from Favitta’s Family Pizzeria in Henrietta, New York, which is officially one of the world’s most costly pizzas at $800 a slice.
- Although it is possible that it is the bottle of Dom Perignon and diamond ring that come with the pizza, rather than the sausage meat, that is responsible for the $8,200 box price tag…
Papa John’s Hawaiian Original Crust Pizza |A Premium Hawaiian Delight You might be shocked to learn that pineapple is more popular as a pizza topping than beef, olives, tuna, or anchovies, regardless of whether you like it or dislike it.A juicy piece of pineapple atop a pizza pie is a favorite topping for 42 percent of British people.
- Perhaps the support of celebrities such as Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who stated, ″I have a pineapple,″ can help to explain this.
- I’ve ordered a pizza.
- Moreover, I stand behind this delectable product from Southwestern Ontario.
When it comes to deciding what should – or should not – go on top of a pizza, sweetcorn tends to elicit the same mixed reactions as pineapple, in our opinion.However, 42 percent of us consider it to be a pizza topping, and more than half of 18-24 year olds consider it to be a favorite pleasure.What’s better than chicken and sweetcorn?
- With a vegetarian feast, how about some sweetcorn?
- You now understand where we’re coming from.
Fresh Tomatoes that are Succulent |Papa John’s While just 2% of Brits prefer a plain cheese and tomato margherita, more than half would want additional tomato on their slice if they could get their hands on any.Possibly because tomatoes are strong in lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant, or because they contain a high amount of vitamin C – or, more likely, because a juicy tomato just tastes delicious.
It’s maybe not surprising that jalapenos don’t rank very high on the list of popular British pizza toppings, considering the country’s dislike to spicy food on a slice. It is, however, the most widely used pepper in the world, and it was even consumed by the Aztecs, so if you’re feeling adventurous, give it a shot.
Slices of fresh spinach from Papa John’s Pizza For 26 percent of British people, spinach is the best topping for a pizza since it is vibrant, flavorful, and extremely nutritious. As a result, the Fiorentina pizza, with its spinach and egg combination, is a perennial favorite. Perhaps this is something for Papa John’s to consider in the future…
Fish is a popular topping for pizza, particularly anchovies and tuna, which placed 18 percent and 22 percent on a scale of favorite pizza toppings, respectively, according to the survey.According to American author Jay McInerney, ″add anchovies to practically everything, in moderation, and it will taste better,″ and approximately a quarter of the public believes he is correct, while the remaining quarter believes it is an odd topping to include.Let’s take a poll to find out if mushrooms are the most popular pizza topping in the United States…
- July 24, 2017 — Papa John’s United Kingdom (@PapaJohnsUK) So, what’s your favorite topping for a pizza?
- Why not have a peek at our menu and indulge in a long-standing favorite or something completely new?
The 10 most popular pizza toppings
(Source: USA TODAY) Pizza is a food that almost everyone enjoys.A handful of the toppings, such as pineapple, have sparked a great deal of debate and anger.But, when it comes to a slice of life that affects the majority of people’s appetites, what are the top ten toppings to choose from?
- As we approach closer to all of the autumn sporting events, where eating pizza is almost a requirement, we thought we’d find out which toppings people prefer on their pizza.
- Related: 15 amazing cocktail ideas for sports lovers to try this autumn (with pictures).
(Source: USA TODAY) If you had to guess, you would have guessed that the pineapple would have gotten the bottom spot in the top 10. In any case, and much to Popeye’s delight, the green vegetable is spinach!
Picture courtesy of Angelika Warmuth/picture-alliance/dpa/AP Images. The most contentious of all the toppings. Some people cringe at the mere notion of pineapple on pizza, while others rejoice. Even the addition of ham or bacon does not make it any more appetizing.
8. Green peppers
(Photo courtesy of Associated Press/St. Cloud Times, Jason Wachter) The veggies continue their sprint, with the exception of the pineapple. Green peppers are a vegetable that a lot of people are prepared to use to spice up their meals.
7. Black olives
(USA TODAY) Black olives are another vegetable that made the top 10 list of pizza toppings, and they can be seen on a lot of pizzas.
6. Extra cheese
(Photo courtesy of MAURICIO LIMA/AFP via Getty Images) ) When making a wonderful pizza, it is always a good idea to double or triple your delight by adding more and more cheese.
(Photo courtesy of AP photographer Matthew Mead) A large number of people believe that bacon makes everything better. Pizza? We’re not sure about that, but we’re certainly prepared to give it a shot (and then probably keep trying).
(Source: USA TODAY) To be honest, we were a little startled to see sausage ranked as low as No. 4. I expected it would be in the top 2, or at the very least in the top three positions. And certainly not in the background of this next peak…
(Source: USA TODAY) After all, onions are delicious—fried, sautéed, on a burger or hot dog, we’re all for them! But what about on a pizza? No. 3?! What are you talking about? Pizza has to be a learned taste if you want to enjoy it. (We’ll pass on this one.)
(Source: USA TODAY) The position of mushrooms at No. 2 is also fascinating. While some individuals find mushrooms to be a better addition to their pizza, it appears that mushrooms have always been the topping that people remove off their pizza if they are there. However, we’ll take them over inions if that’s okay with you.
(USA TODAY) Pepperoni is the undisputed king of pizza toppings. No question about it, and we applaud you for making the decision. (At this point, we’re all heading out to get some pizza since there’s one pizza-related point of view on which we can all agree: writing and reading about pizza makes you want to eat pizza.)
Most Popular Pizza Toppings in the U.S.
It may seem absurd, but there are a large number of academics that are interested in pizza trends, notably the most popular toppings for pizza.This is due to the fact that pizza is, without a doubt, a significant component of American culture.The meal serves as a kind of celebration and relaxation routine, as well as a comfort food when we are feeling down.
- In the United States alone, 93 percent of the population consumes pizza once a month.
- According to surveys, Americans consume an average of 46 pieces of pizza each year on average.
- Pizza is consumed on a weekly basis by little under half of all Americans, or 40 percent of the population.
- That’s a lot of pizza, to be honest.
- Of course, with pizza orders come an almost limitless number of topping options to choose from.
- Some folks are big meat eaters, and they stuff their pies with meatballs and sausage, pepperoni and ham, among other things.
- Others adore vegetables and stuff their cheesy concoctions with peppers and onions, eggplant, spinach, and olives, among other ingredients.
There’s just no way you could go wrong with this.What are the most popular pizza toppings, on the other hand?Is there a group of people that are more favored than others?There are, without a doubt, some.There are those who swear by the addition of sardines to their pies, but this is not the standard.
- The following are the top ten most popular pizza toppings in the United States of America.
Most Popular Pizza Toppings
To begin, some fundamental statistics: according to study, 62 percent of pizza fans in the United States prefer meat on top of their pies, with 38 percent preferring vegetables on top. That’s not to argue that some individuals don’t mix and match; we know that a significant number of people do so.
Pepperoni is by far the most popular pizza topping in the United States, which may come as a surprise to some. Pepperoni is used in 36 percent of all pies, and the United States consumes more than 250 million pounds of it each year.
2. Extra Cheese
In addition to being a classic, many Americans choose to have more cheese on their pies. We here at Hungry Howie’s® can’t say that we blame them. Our mozzarella cheese is made entirely of fresh mozzarella and is really delicious. An order of additional cheese on your pizza is difficult to turn down when it’s hot, melty, and really gratifying.
In spite of the fact that mushrooms are often associated with the ″ew″ factor, they are really the third most popular pizza topping in the United States. The reason for this might be that they work well with both vegetarian and meat pies, enhancing the flavor of whatever exquisite dish they are placed on top of.
Another surprise on the list is that onions come in second place, exactly behind mushrooms in terms of popularity. It’s possible that this is due to the fact that they go well with both vegetable and meat-topped pizzas, bringing a subtle crunch and a fresh flavour.
If you were thinking sausage would make the list, you would be correct. It comes in at number 5. It’s frequently paired with other ingredients such as meatballs, pepperoni, and even bacon. Aside from that, toppings such as green peppers and black olives are popular choices among consumers. Depending on your mood, you can choose between a sweet or spicy version.
6. Black Olives
Olives are a hotly debated issue these days.You either adore or despise these people.They still make the top ten list of pizza toppings, even if you aren’t a lover of the dish.
- The fact that they’re on so many ″super″ and ″deluxe″ pizzas doesn’t make them any less of a standard when you’re buying a pie with all the extras.
- When purchasing the special pie, it is possible that you will have to ask your local pizza place to omit the small black slices off the order if you wish to avoid them.
7. Green Peppers
Given that 62 percent of Americans favor meat toppings, you may be surprised to learn that so many vegetables made the cut this time around. It’s most likely because pepperoni and sausage account for such a substantial percentage of the total that vegetables are added after the fact in so many different combinations.
In fact, pineapple is the 8th most popular pizza topping in the United States, despite the fact that it is arguably the most contentious topping of all time. It goes nicely with ham, bacon, and savory cheeses, among other things. We’re thinking that it made the list since pineapple pizza devotees are known to be die-hard fans of their favorite foods.
Spinach is yet another underdog that has risen to the top of the food pyramid. Spinach pairs nicely with white pies, especially when topped with more garlic, as well as with vegetable pizzas. When seeking for ways to include some green into your baking, we recommend you give this a shot.
10. No Topping at All
This order isn’t necessarily the last one placed, but it’s worth noting that approximately one out of every three pizzas in the United States is ordered without any modifications.That means that 33% of people order a simple pie with only cheese and no other toppings or ingredients.While we at Hungry Howie’s® are big fans of a variety of toppings, we can’t say we blame you for sticking with the tried-and-true.
- Every pizza, regardless of whether it has toppings, is excellent.
As you can see, we provided a thorough review of the most popular pizza toppings in the United States, including several that we were shocked to see.However, there are a couple of honorable mentions.Let us start by stating that anchovies are the least popular pizza topping in America.
- You may be certain that we will always have your backs, anchovy lovers everywhere.
- Another point to notice is that a considerable fraction of orders include ″half and half″ toppings as a standard option.
- The most prevalent combination is half pepperoni, half plain, followed by half pepperoni, half additional cheese.
- Because these two toppings are at the top of the popularity rankings, it may come as no surprise.
Order Your Favorite Toppings Tonight
Probably at this point, your mouth is watering as you daydream about your favorite pizza toppings.Bring a Hungry Howie’s® pie home tonight to share with your family, or keep it all to yourself.Whatever toppings you choose, we’ll stand with you 100 percent.
- Every pizza is perfect, and we like seeing the many combinations of toppings that our clients come up with.
- You may place an order for pizza online or over the phone, and we’ll deliver to your location.
Pizza topping ideas
- Probably at this point, your mouth is watering as you daydream about your preferred pizza toppings. Bring a Hungry Howie’s® pie home tonight to share with your family or to enjoy by yourself. Our support is there for you, no matter what toppings you choose. Everything about our pizzas is flawless, and we like seeing the many combinations of toppings that our clients devise. For delivery or takeout, place an order online or give us a call!
1) Chicken tikka masala pizzas
With these simple chicken tikka masala pizzas, you can combine two takeout favorites in one dish. Naan breads are topped with spicy chicken, green peppers, natural yogurt, mango chutney, and coriander, and the dish is complete. This quick and easy supper can be put together in just 20 minutes.
2) Sausage & pesto pizza
Simple ingredients combine to create these cheesy sausage and pesto pizzas, which are perfect for a quick and simple takeout-style supper. Garnish a frozen pizza dough with tomato sauce, pig sausage, buffalo mozzarella, fresh pesto, and basil leaves before baking it in the oven.
3) Rainbow pizzas
This brightly colored supper is a wonderful way for children to get their five-a-day. Combine two simple pizza bases with mozzarella cherries, red and yellow tomatoes, sprouting broccoli, green olives, fresh pesto, and basil leaves to make a pizza masterpiece.
4) Spinach & blue cheese pizza
With this vegetarian spinach and blue cheese pizza, you may experiment with a more unusual pizza topping. Make your own pizza foundation using wholewheat spelt flour for a healthier alternative. Then add crumbled blue cheese, mushrooms, green spinach, red onions, and walnuts to finish off the dish.
5) Frying pan pizza with aubergine, ricotta & mint
Cooking your pizza on the stovetop in a frying pan will guarantee that the base is extra crispy. Fry some thinly sliced aubergines in a sprinkle of olive oil until they are soft and completely done. Spoonfuls of ricotta may be used to dress up your pizza. Just before serving, sprinkle with mint and drizzle with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil to finish.
6) Roast cauliflower cheese pizza
With this simple recipe, you can combine two classic comfort meals – pizza and cauliflower cheese – in one dish. Cauliflower should be roasted till soft before spreading mascarpone on the pizza foundation. Sprinkling the remaining mascarpone over the cauliflower and dot with the remaining cheese before finishing with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
7) Caramelised onion & goat’s cheese pizza
The tangy flavor of goat’s cheese is enhanced by the sweetness of onions in this simple dish. Toss in the baby spinach leaves, Kalamata olives, thyme, sunflower seeds, and balsamic vinegar until well combined.
8) BBQ chicken pizza
Besides being low in fat and calories, this full pizza with rich toppings is guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family. Grilled cheese, chopped chicken breast, peppers and onions, baby plum tomatoes, and barbecue sauce are sprinkled on top.
9) Rye pizza with figs, fennel, gorgonzola & hazelnuts
When it comes to date night for grownups, this classy pizza is a sophisticated alternative.Make the foundation using a mixture of strong white flour, ’00’ flour, rye flour, and semolina flour, and bake it until golden brown.Fennel should be thinly sliced or mandolin-sliced, and then fried with onions until cooked through and soft.
- Finish by sprinkling balsamic vinegar over the top of the pizza and adding the fennel mixture, halved figs, and crumbled gorgonzola.
10) Tuna, olive & rocket pizzas
With these budget-friendly, family-friendly pizzas, you can make use of goods from your pantry. Make the dough with a pre-made pizza base mix, then cover it with shredded mozzarella, canned tuna, capers, black kalamata olives, thinly sliced red onion, and a handful of rocket leaves to finish it off.
Enjoyed these pizza ideas? See more inspiration.
Recipes for alternative pizza bases Our picks for the healthiest pizza recipes How to prepare a margherita pizza that is on another level. Ideas for a quick chicken meal
These are the most liked – and disliked – pizza toppings in America
Italian food is among the most popular in the United States, making National Pizza Day on February 9th a natural occasion to commemorate one of the country’s most beloved delicacies.YouGov polled Americans to find out which pizza toppings they like and which they despised the most.According to a survey of more than 6,000 persons in the United States, pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping.
- Approximately two-thirds (64 percent) of Americans say they enjoy this topping on their sandwiches.
- Other favorite toppings among adults in the United States include sausage (56%), mushrooms (54%), more cheese (52%), and onions (48 percent ).
- When it comes to the most despised pizza toppings, anchovies are at the top of the list, according to the majority (61 percent ).
- About half of people don’t like eggplant on their pizza (52 percent), while 44 percent don’t care for artichoke pizza and 39 percent don’t like for broccoli on their pizza.
- The ever-controversial pineapple topping completes the list of the five most despised toppings (35 percent ).
- Pineapple on pizza is a favorite topping for around a quarter of those who responded (26 percent).
- When it comes to the crust below, Americans are evenly divided between thin crust pizza (which 31 percent of respondents say is their favourite pizza type) and standard crust pizza (which 30 percent say is their preferred pizza style) (29 percent ).
Deep-dish pizza is preferred by approximately one in every five people (18 percent).Residents in the Midwest (34 percent) and the West (32 percent) are more likely than those in the northeast to favor thin crust pizza, while those in the northeast prefer normal crust (34 percent ).Thin crust (29 percent) and standard crust (28 percent) are tied for first place in the South (29 percent ).Related: The majority of Americans do not consider Valentine’s Day to be a ″legitimate″ holiday.Methodology: Between February 3rd and 4th, 2021, a total of 6,168 people in the United States were polled.
- The responding sample has been weighted to ensure that it is representative of the general population of the United States.
- Photographs courtesy of Getty Images and Pexel
15 Most Popular Pizza Toppings In the USA
Pizza is one of the most popular dishes in the United States.However, when it comes to deciding what goes on top, there is a lot of disagreement!Every year, a variety of studies are conducted to find out what the general population thinks about their favorite topping.
- So, what’s the final word?
- We’ll take a look at 15 of the most popular pizza toppings available in the United States today.
- And we’ll come up with some solutions that will split Americans!
- To find out which flavors receive the most votes – and which ones some of us absolutely despise – proceed down this path…
Pineapple on pizza is undoubtedly the most contentious of all the toppings, with the globe divided between those who adore it and those who despise it.Celebrities such as Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and stars Jeff Goldblum and Dwayne ″The Rock″ Johnson are among those who support pineapple consumption.President Jóhannesson of Iceland (who likes seafood) and British chef Gordon Ramsay are among those who despise him.
- It’s difficult to understand why such a modest fruit can elicit such anger.
- However, according to a 2017 poll, pineapple aficionados came out on top.
- Americans were divided on whether it should be used as a pizza topping, with 47 percent in favor and 32 percent opposed.
- Pineapple is, without a doubt, the most popular topping.
- Naturally, it’s an essential element when it’s combined with ham and bacon to make a Hawaiian pizza, which is often served with pineapple on top.
- However, the Hawaiian was really originated in Canada, not the United States.
- Pineapple on pizzas, whether you like it or not, is here to stay.
Given that mushrooms and cheese are a match made in heaven, it should come as no surprise that mushrooms are a popular pizza topping.According to a research conducted in 2019, 31 percent of respondents listed them as one of their top three favorite toppings.Their taste is derived from high amounts of glutamate in their meat.
- We get our ″umami″ – savory – taste receptors activated by this molecule, which is produced by our bodies.
- And it implies that mushrooms are absolutely delightful for the vast majority of us.
- They are also beneficial to humans.
- They include a variety of B vitamins, potassium, iron, and selenium, among other nutrients.
- They’re low in calories and high in fiber, making them a healthy snack option.
- In addition, certain mushrooms include vitamin D, which helps to strengthen our immune systems.
- So pile your toppings on your pizza and dig in!
Despite the abundance of unique toppings available, basic mozzarella remains one of the most authentic and delicious.In a study of Americans conducted in 2019, 20 percent of those polled said it was one of their top three favorite toppings.There are, however, differing opinions on which variety of mozzarella is the most effective when making this dish.
- Some people believe that nothing compares to the taste of fresh cheese discs.
- Others like grated versions that are low in moisture.
- In whichever form or combination you want, mozzarella combined with tomato sauce and basil is a traditional and genuinely Italian combo that is difficult to top.
There are very few dishes that aren’t made better by the addition of bacon to the recipe.And when it comes to pizza, the rule is unquestionably applicable.In a study conducted in 2019, 20 percent of Americans said it was one of their favorite three toppings.
- According to the jury, it is on an equal footing with the traditional topping, mozzarella.
- The salty flavor of bacon pairs perfectly with the acidic flavor of tomato sauce.
- It’s frequently used in the contentious Hawaiian pizza, where it adds another layer of complexity to the ham and pineapple combination.
- Moreover, it is a standard component of many a pizza chain’s meat feast.
- Despite the fact that it contains a lot of salt and fat, this dish is quite tasty.
Another half of the Hawaiian couple, ham is a pizza topping that receives a mixed response.American consumers regard it as one of their top three favorite toppings, according to 13 percent of the population.In fact, it’s the exact same proportion of those who said it was one of their three least preferred toppings.
- It’s possible that the link with the contentious Hawaiian pizza has contributed to this outcome.
- Ham, on the other hand, is a flexible ingredient for pizza and may be used in a variety of other taste combinations.
- After all, prosciutto is only a sort of ham; this should not be taken for granted.
- The combination of prosciutto and figs is one of the most elegant pizza toppings available.
- In addition, it pairs nicely with pears, goat’s cheese, and spinach dishes.
When we talk about sausage on pizza in the United States, we are referring about Italian sausage.However, there is a wide range of options available, whether mild or spicy, precooked or fresh, chunky or thinly sliced.Whatever choice is selected, it appears that we are big fans of sausage on our pizza.
- It was recognized as one of the top three toppings by 34% of individuals who took part in the study.
- As a result, sausage ranks second on the list of most popular toppings.
- Despite the fact that it is a major element in many meat feasts, it also has enough taste to stand on its own.
- Serve it with a simple mozzarella and tomato sauce to complete the meal.
If you look at the humble onion in its natural state, it doesn’t appear to be anything to write home about.However, if you peel it, slice it, and put it on your pizza, you’ll have a winner.During the baking process, the onions caramelize wonderfully, imparting a sweet taste to the finished pie.
- Because of something known as pyrolysis, this is what happens.
- Larger sugar molecules in the onion are broken down into smaller sugar molecules as a result of the high temperatures encountered.
- As a result, the flavor becomes sweeter and more powerful.
- Onions are the second most popular pizza topping in America, trailing only mushrooms in terms of popularity among vegetables.
- It was chosen as one of the top three garnishes by 18 percent of individuals who took part in the poll.
Olives are a classic Italian pizza topping that can’t be missed.Green olives are more typically found on pizzas, although black olives are more prevalent.And just one glance at their lustrous black fruits conjures up images of the Mediterranean heat and sea.
- Olives pair exceptionally well with fish, particularly tuna, when used on pizza.
- They’re also delicious when combined with mozzarella, tomato, and basil for a vegetarian flavor delight.
- However, not everyone is persuaded.
- Olives were identified as one of the top three pizza toppings by 14 percent of those who answered the poll.
- However, the same amount of respondents said they were one of their least favorites!
Peppers not only provide color to pizzas, but they also enhance their flavor.And they’re still another vegetable whose flavor is enhanced by roasting, becoming sweeter and more powerful as a result.Consequently, peppers are frequently roasted before being used in pizza recipes.
- This allows them to be cooked for the additional time necessary to soften and develop their taste.
- In addition, there is no danger of the remaining portion of your pie becoming burned.
- Peppers are an excellent method to enhance the flavor of a vegetarian pizza by introducing stronger flavors.
- And, according to the results of the 2019 study, they were named as a favorite topping by 11 percent of those who participated.
Generally speaking, chicken is a favored portion of many people’s meals.However, when it comes to pizza, it is not as well-liked.Only 8 percent of those polled said it was one of the top three toppings.
- Moreover, the same amount of respondents said it was one of their three least favorite toppings.
- It’s possible that this is due to the fact that chicken is pre-roasted before being used in pizzas.
- This guarantees that any potentially hazardous germs are completely destroyed before you consume it.
- However, baking it a second time might result in it being dry and stringy.
Tomatoes are a common ingredient in pizza, thanks to the tomato sauce.Fresh tomatoes, on the other hand, may be a delicious addition to any dish when it comes to toppings.They’re very delicious when served with olives and shellfish.
- They’re also an important component in the classic Margherita pizza.
- However, it is possible that the popularity of tomato sauce has caused consumers to forget the benefits of fresh tomatoes as a topping.
- Only 7% of those who took part in a study said it was one of their favorite movies or shows.
12. Fresh garlic
Fresh garlic may be sprinkled on top of pizzas to ward off vampires, according to legend.In Italian cookery, the flavors of onion and garlic have been a long-standing favorite for generations.Both of these ingredients are frequently found in pizza sauce as well.
- While fresh garlic isn’t included in some surveys, a 2020 study of Pequod’s Pizza customers ranked fresh garlic in eighth position as a favorite topping, according to the results.
- Those vampires had best be on their guard.
13. Fresh basil
Adding fresh basil on the top of your pizza will give it a vibrant color as well as a delicious flavor. It goes perfectly with a classic margherita, as well as with vegetarian and seafood toppings. In addition, it gives every pizza a distinct real Italian flavor. Basil was another of the most popular toppings among Pequod’s Pizza customers, coming in at number 10 on the list overall.
The use of beef as a pizza topping appears to have declined in recent years.In 2013, it was voted the most popular by a small but deserving 4 percent of those who participated in the poll.At the time, it garnered more praise than other vegetables such as tomatoes, olives, peppers, and onions.
- Today, however, it appears to have been largely forgotten.
- In a poll of people’s favorite and least favorite toppings conducted in 2019, beef did not receive a single mention.
We’ve saved the best for last when it comes to pepperoni!Pepperoni is unquestionably the king of pizza toppings, and it constantly ranks first.Pepperoni is now included on almost half of all Domino’s pizzas sold in the United States.
- When surrounded by melted cheese, their characteristic meaty discs look fantastic.
- Some of the pepperoni is flat on the pie crust.
- Other varieties, which are often manufactured with a collagen casing, curl up towards the edges.
- However, whether flat or curly, the pepperoni’s punchy flavor means that for many of us, pizza just isn’t pizza unless it’s topped with it.
Which is your favorite?
Thanks for taking the time to read our list of the 15 most popular pizza toppings in the United States! Is your favorite on our list? Do you have any suggestions? Or maybe you like something a little more unique? Perhaps we’ve even piqued your interest enough to encourage you to try something new! Regardless of your preferred toppings, one thing is certain — we all enjoy pizza.
Survey Reveals America’s Least Popular Pizza Toppings
- Anchovies were ranked as the least preferred pizza topping by 61 percent of those who took part in a YouGov study on the subject. According to a YouGov study, 61 percent of respondents indicated anchovies are their least favorite pizza topping, followed by eggplant, artichokes, broccoli, and pineapple.
- Thin crust pizza is the preferred choice of 31% of Americans, whereas deep dish pizza is the preferred choice of just 18%.
Related: Pears compete with pineapples for the title of the most contentious yet delectable pizza topping.According to a recent poll by YouGov, anchovies aren’t among the most preferred pizza toppings when it comes to topping a pizza slice.YouGov conducted a study of more than 6,100 respondents in the United States to determine which pizza toppings were the most and least popular.
- Pepperoni took first place in the area of preferred toppings, with 64 percent of respondents giving it their unanimous approval.
- According to the results of the poll, when asked which toppings they disliked the most, 61 percent said anchovies.
- Sausage (56 percent), mushrooms (54 percent), additional cheese (52%), and onions (48 percent) were the most popular pizza toppings, followed by pepperoni (48 percent).
- When it comes to the least popular toppings, eggplant finished in second place behind anchovies with 52 percent of the vote, followed by artichokes (44 percent), broccoli (39 percent), and pineapple (28 percent) (35 percent).
- Pickle-topped pizzas are a hit among pizza enthusiasts, as previously reported.
- Pineapple on pizza is a favorite topping for around a quarter of those who answered the survey questions.
- In a close race, thin crust emerged victorious as the favored form of pizza crust among Americans, with 31 percent stating that it is their preferred style.
Regular crust pizza is preferred by 29% of respondents, while deep-dish pizza is preferred by 18% of respondents.Thin crust is preferred by those in the Midwest (34 percent) and the West (32%), whereas standard crust is preferred by people in the northeast (34 percent).Thin crust and standard crust are tied for first place in the South, with both receiving 29 percent of the vote.
In Crust We Trust: The UK’s Favourite Pizza
In addition to disputes about Brexit, one of the most heated topics dividing the country right now is which pizza topping is the finest and whether or not pineapple belongs on a pizza.Parkdean Resorts analysed the sales data from 65 of our restaurants around the country and combined it with a nationwide poll to find out which pizza topping is the nation’s favorite, split down by area.The results were published in the Parkdean Resorts magazine.
Top of the toppings: Pepperoni revealed as the UK’s favourite pizza
Pepperoni pizza takes the largest slice of the pie as the nation’s favorite pizza, beating off ham and pineapple, meat feast, and margherita to make it into the top ten list.Pepperoni received 18 percent of the vote, demonstrating to the world that classics never go out of vogue.The meat feat came in second with 17 percent, followed by ham and pineapple at 14 percent, and the British have made their preferences known.
- However, where are the vegan alternatives?
- It is odd that pizza fans do not represent the growing vegan trend in the United Kingdom, as seen by fewer than 1 percent of the votes for vegan toppings.
Meat Great Britain – a nation divided by pizza toppings
When it comes to pizza, the United Kingdom is a meat-loving nation! Toppings like pepperoni and sausage have taken first place in all five major cities in the United Kingdom: Birmingham; Glasgow; Belfast; Norwich; and Sheffield. Nottingham, Manchester, and Liverpool, on the other hand, like a massive meat feast, demonstrating that one sort of meat is never enough!
Controversial, the cities that LOVE pineapple on pizza
Pepperoni may be the most popular pizza topping in the United Kingdom, but how on earth did ham and pineapple come in third?Even though fruit as a pizza topping has been a source of contention throughout the country for many years, our research has showed that it is also one of the most popular options in the country.Pineapple on pizza is known as the ″marmite″ of pizza toppings since people either love it or loathe it.
- Despite the fact that the popular topping landed in third place for the nation’s favorite pizza, the popular topping continues to divide the country.
- From the concept of fruit on pizza to the sweet acidic flavor of the fruit mixed with the cheese, ham, and pineapple, pizza is confounding the country, which is why it continues to be popular despite widespread opposition.
- Given that Edinburgh and Southampton have both surprised us with their love for the salty-sweet contentious slice, where do you fall on the spectrum of opinion?
UK calls for more meat feasts and less vegan options
In light of the increasing number of vegan items presently available on the market, it was surprising to learn from this study that just 1.3 percent of the 1500 people polled preferred vegan toppings.According to the Vegan Society, there are roughly 600,000 vegans in the United Kingdom, accounting for 1.16 percent of the population.Given the increasing number of vegan options on pizza menus, and the fact that Papa John’s has appointed a Vegan Director to drive their plant-based offering forward, it’s surprising that the survey results did not reflect this trend, with voters preferring meat-based pizza toppings instead of vegan alternatives.
- Do you agree with the majority of the people in the United Kingdom?
- By posting a photo of your favorite pizza on our Facebook and Instagram sites, you can let us know!
In collaboration with prominent consumer research business TLF research, we performed a countrywide poll to determine the most popular pizzas in the United Kingdom, including the toppings used, the type of dough used, and the country’s favorite pizza brands.Our survey of 1500 respondents from around the United Kingdom, along with restaurant sales data and intelligence, enabled us to answer the nation’s most important question: what is the United Kingdom’s favorite pizza?Vegan facts and figures:
A Guide to Making the Five Most Iconic Pizzas of All Time
Trendy pizza toppings come and go, but there are a select topping combinations that have stood the test of time and have become legendary pizzas in and of themselves.These are the kinds of pizzas you’ll find at every pizza shop and on every delivery menu, and they’re the kinds of pizzas we feel any home chef should be able to make on their own.These are the five most famous pizzas in the history of the world!
- The Margherita is considered to be the mother of all pizzas.
- It features a thin crust, fresh tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, and only a few basil leaves on top, which is typical of Neopaltian-style pizza.
- Though the toppings on a Margherita are straightforward, they have the ability to be absolutely magnificent in a manner that few other toppings can match.
How to Make Margherita Pizza at Home
Bake this pizza at a high temperature in an oven or, even better, on a grill.When making this pizza, it is critical to roll or stretch the dough thinly in order to achieve a crisp but yet malleable crust.This will ensure that the sauce and cheese only barely cook as the crust blisters.
- Fresh, in-season tomatoes are preferred for creating the sauce, although canned whole San Marzano tomatoes can be used for the remaining ten months of the year if fresh tomatoes are not available.
- Never boil the sauce for margarita pizzas unless absolutely necessary.
- Fresh mozzarella should be cut thickly and put on top of the sauce in a patchwork pattern.
- Pepperoni is still the most popular pizza topping in the United States, according to our estimates.
- This one-of-a-kind topping is even included on the pizza emoji!
- It makes sense when you examine all of the positive aspects of pepperoni, such as the following: Despite being sandwiched between sheets of melty, gooey cheese, the salty and slightly spicy flavor holds its own against the waves of gooey cheese and becomes ever-so-slightly crisped in the hot oven in such a crave-worthy way that no one can resist pulling them straight from the smoldering hot pizza and dropping them straight into their mouths.
How to Make the Best Pepperoni Pizza at Home
Make the most of the pepperoni when it’s the sole topping you’re using.Make a single layer of pepperoni on top of the sauce before adding the cheese, and then another layer of pepperoni on top of the cheese before serving.Pepperoni pizza may be greasy, so use part-skim mozzarella and Parmesan cheese for the toppings instead of full-fat mozzarella and Parmesan.
- According to legend, Ed LaDou, the original pizza cook at California Pizza Kitchen, came up with the idea for BBQ chicken in 1985.
- His first pizza invention, created with BBQ sauce, chicken, cilantro, red onions, and fontina cheese, has remained on the CPK menu to this day and is still available for purchase.
- BBQ Pizza is popular because it straddles the line between sweet and savory, and it makes the greatest use of any leftover chicken you may have.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Pizza at Home
BBQ chicken pizza does not, according to its name, necessitate the use of a barbeque pit.Instead, combine equal amounts of smokey barbecue sauce and tomato sauce in a mixing bowl.A variety of cheeses, such as cheddar or Gouda, and part-skim mozzarella, should be used to hold the cooked chicken in place.
- The bite of the red onion pieces, as well as the contrast in texture and flavor, give the pizza a unique flavor and texture.
- Despite being both revered and loathed, a mix of tomato sauce, cheese, ham, and pineapple continues to rank high on our list of the most famous pizzas in history.
- Hawaiian pizza, contrary to popular belief, was originated in Canada, not on the American islands after which it is called.
- Those who enjoy BBQ chicken pizza agree that the blend of sweet and savory flavors is the most appealing aspect of this famous cuisine.
How to Make Hawaiian Pizza at Home
While you may come across rogue Hawaiian pizza recipes that use barbecue sauce instead of pizza sauce, a simple red sauce should serve as the foundation for this famous pizza topping.Replace fresh pineapple with canned pineapple rings and chop them into bite-size pieces, much like the pizza business does, instead of using fresh pineapple.Also, for the ham, look for anything from the deli that has been finely sliced and chopped up for the topping, such as black forrest or honey-baked ham.
- Because it has the greatest number of ingredients on a single pie, the Meat-Pizza Lover’s is the most popular of our famous pizzas: pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, and mushrooms all come together in this substantial, super-savory pizza.
- When we have a large group of people to feed, we turn to meat-pizza.
How to Make Meat-Lover’s Pizza at Home
A meat-pizza lover’s requires a crust that is rather thick in order to hold all of its toppings together.The use of a fork to puncture the crust a few times to make vent holes is important while baking this pizza pie since grease and moisture are both issues.Par-cook or ″dock″ the crust before topping it and baking it.
- Meatballs, sausage, and mushrooms should all be cooked before being added to the pizza, as this will help prevent the bottom of the pizza from being soggy.
More Solutions, Less Effort
Now is the time to subscribe to our newsletter!Meghan Splawn is a food editor with a variety of skills.Meghan worked as the Food Editor for the Kitchn’s Skills content for a number of years.
- She specializes in everyday baking, family cuisine, and capturing natural light in her photographs.
- Meghan approaches eating with an eye on saving money and time while still having a good time.
- Meghan holds a bachelor’s degree in baking and pastry arts and spent the first ten years of her professional life as a member of Alton Brown’s culinary team.
- Didn’t I Just Feed You?
- is a weekly podcast on food and family that she co-hosts with her husband.
- Meghan should be followed.
Pizza Toppings: The Most Popular in 2020
Knowing what ″America’s″ favorite pizza toppings are, or even learning about favorite pizza toppings by state, is all well and good, but we were interested in learning about the most popular pizza toppings in our own backyards.In order to find out what our biggest fans from both our Chicago and Morton Grove restaurants perceive to be their favorite toppings on our beloved meal, we conducted a survey of our most loyal customers.
The Search for Your Favorite Pizza Toppings
Okay, so maybe this wasn’t the most scientific survey design ever devised, but whatever.We are not a sociology department; we are a pizza.All we wanted to know is how many people truly enjoy anchovies and if you’re all a bunch of meatheads or are ready to add some veggies on their pies.
- You’re doing something wrong if you’re not having a good time while working in the pizza industry.
- We gathered information about popular pizza toppings from a little more than 500 people in the real world.
- Yes, we inquired as to the availability of pineapple.
- In the absence of more esoteric or unusual components such as shrimp or truffles, we did not inquire.
- We simply had a limited amount of space on the survey.
- After that, we set to work on evaluating the data.
Our Totally Expert Analysis of Your Top Toppings
Given the option of choosing as many toppings as you wanted for your favorite pizza and being given the opportunity to select, the obvious victor was…can you guess?Of course, pepperoni is involved.
- Pepperoni on pizza is a favorite topping for slightly more than two-thirds of those who surveyed (68 percent).
- Compared to this, sausage received a score of 47 percent.
- Products such as ham, Canadian bacon, and Italian beef all have 20 percent or less fat content or less.
- However, here’s something that will take your breath away: The sausage was not the second most important element.
- Rather, mushrooms were your second most popular topping choice!
- This indicates that more people are ordering mushrooms on their pizzas rather than sausage on their pizzas.
- If you’re anything like us, you’re probably thinking that those two things go together very nicely.
To each his or her own when it comes to pizza, but take it from us when we say that if you like sausage and mushrooms individually, you’ll enjoy them much more when they’re thrown together on a pizza.Isn’t it true that sausage came in at number three?Wrong.Extra cheese was the third most important element.We can’t say we blame you for your actions.
- It’s impossible to get enough of that gooey mozzarella, and it’s particularly effective at keeping your pepperoni and mushrooms in place on your pizza.
- It was really the fourth most popular meat according to our survey, and it was also one of just two meats to make it into our top 10.
- (pepperoni, obviously, being the other).
- You folks seem to enjoy your vegetables!
Is there anything you can do with pineapple and anchovies?Well, pineapple didn’t make it into the top 10, but it did so by a slim margin of a few votes.It came in 11th place overall, with a preference of around 23%.You’ll have to wait until the second installment of our survey report to see out how anchovies performed.
- (There’s a spoiler ahead: it’s titled ″The Least Popular Pizza Toppings.″)
Geeking Out on Meat and Vegetable Subcategory Data
- But that’s not all there is to it!
- For those of us who are truly into it, we can go a bit further and look at the meats and veggies separately.
- Here is where we discover the information…
which is more or less consistent with the overall rankings.Pepperoni, sausage, and bacon are the top three meats in terms of popularity, in that order.However, consider the following percentages: Pepperoni garnered more than double the number of votes as sausage, while sausage received more than twice the number of votes as bacon, which received just 8.5 percent of the total votes cast.That is to say, even while many of you might select two or perhaps all three of these toppings for any particular pie, if your back was against the wall (say, if you were participating in a scientifically shaky Pequod’s online poll), you’d probably choose Team Pepperoni.It should come as no surprise that the same is true for vegetables.The three most popular vegetable toppings were mushroom, onion, and green pepper, in that order.
- Mushroom outperformed onion by a factor of roughly two to one, whereas green pepper was just three percent behind onion in terms of scoring.
- Interestingly, the overall distribution was closer than it was with the meats, and green pepper outperformed black olives despite the fact that they were ranked lower in the overall rankings of the foods.
- What is our professional interpretation?
- You’re less enthusiastic about your veggie toppings, and you’re more likely to add two or three of them everytime you put them on your pie.
- If you like several of them in combination, you could enjoy them much more than you like them separately.
- With the probable exception of green pepper people, who, while being a lesser proportion of the population, are passionate enough about them to prefer them to the normally popular black olives.
The Top 10 Pizza Toppings
- As a result, here are your top 10 pizza toppings, listed according to the number of people who responded to our poll who indicated they would include these things in their favorite pizza: Sausage, pepperoni, mushroom (with extra cheese), onion, black olives (with green pepper), green pepper (with fresh garlic), tomato (with fresh basil), and extra cheese
- How many of your favorite toppings made our list of the top ten choices?
- Compared to the alternatives, how well did your favorite meat or vegetarian dish fare?
- Did the topping preferences of your fellow Pequod’s patrons take you completely by surprise?
The most popular toppings have been discussed previously; now learn about the toppings that people consider to be their least favorite pizza toppings.The good news is that you can always have what you want on your pie, no matter how popular or unpopular your choice may be with other people around you.However, perhaps this will encourage you to be more courageous in the future and finally experiment with an element you have previously avoided.Anyone for some black olives?
American Pizza Community
- AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Christy Moran may be reached at 703-299-2602 Families choose pizza, according to the American Pizza Community, because of its ease and convenience. Washington, D.C. – October 27, 2016 – The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has released a statement. The same time as families throughout the country prepare for an exciting Halloween night, pizzeria businesses across the country are gearing up for one of their biggest days of the year: Black Friday. According to the American Pizza Community (APC), a significant volume of pizza orders are placed on Halloween every year because of the convenience of having a hot, crowd-pleasing dinner delivered or picked up on the way home on a holiday when many families are gathered together and too busy to cook. ″Customization is unquestionably a fundamental reason in why pizza is so popular,″ stated Tim McIntyre, Chair of the American Pizza Committee. ″The many alternatives and the large number of possible combinations easily accommodate a wide range of preferences.″ Make the most of your Halloween pizza order by following these tips. Here are a couple of pointers: Place your order before 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time! Prior to the popular evening rush, call and place your order for pizza to avoid