The Best Pizza Topping Combinations, According to Experts
What are good pizza topping combinations?
Here are five pizza topping combinations to help revolutionize your pizza order and maybe even change your life.
What are the top five toppings for pizza?
The Top 10 Pizza Toppings
What is a good three topping pizza?
What is the best pizza topping and why?
Pepperoni. Poll after poll, pepperoni always tops the list of America’s favorite pizza toppings. When it doubt, you can’t go wrong with a classic.
What is the most delicious pizza?
A Guide to Making the Five Most Iconic Pizzas of All Time
- Margherita Pizza. Margherita is the mother of all pizzas.
- Pepperoni Pizza. We’d wager that pepperoni is still America’s number-one, most-popular pizza topping.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza.
- Hawaiian Pizza.
- Meat-Lover’s Pizza.
What are typical pizza toppings?
Most Popular Pizza Toppings
- Pepperoni. This may not come as a surprise, but pepperoni is by far the most popular pizza topping in the United States.
- Extra Cheese. Also a classic, many Americans order extra cheese on their pies.
- Black Olives.
- Green Peppers.
What is the most liked pizza type?
In a poll of more than 6,000 US adults, America’s favorite pizza topping is pepperoni. About two-thirds (64%) of Americans say they like this topping. Other popular additions among US adults are sausage (56%), mushrooms (54%), extra cheese (52%), and onions (48%).
What is America’s least favorite pizza topping?
Anchovies get a big thumbs-down from a significant majority of American pizza lovers, according to a survey by YouGov. Sixty-one percent said anchovies are their least favorite pizza topping, followed by eggplant, artichokes, broccoli and pineapple, according to a YouGov survey.
What pizza toppings go with pepperoni?
What toppings go with pepperoni pizza?
What’s the best cheese for pizza?
What is the best melting cheese for pizza? The undisputed king of meltiness for cheese toppings is mozzarella. Classic mozzarella has the ideal balance of moisture, elasticity, and fat content for meltability.
21 Best Pizza Topping Combinations to Try on Your Next Pie – Slice Pizza Blog
- The Best Pizza Topping Combinations Let’s face it, pizza is really just a vehicle to get melted cheese and delicious toppings into our mouths.
- And while pizza crust is an essential part of a great pie, today we’re focusing on the most versatile part of the pizza, the toppings.
- Whether you’re looking for classic combinations or want to take your taste buds on a gastronomic adventure, the list below serves up pizza topping ideas to tempt any pie lover’s palate.
- Classic Combos These tried and true toppings are the cherished staples of pizza eaters everywhere, and they’re easy to enjoy.
- Whether you’re a carnivore at heart or prefer garden-inspired flavors, these classic combos are always a good option for pleasing even the pickiest of pizza lovers.
- For carnivores: sausage, pepperoni, ham, beef, bacon For herbivores: peppers, onions, black olives, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach For omnivores: sausage, pepperoni, peppers, onions, black olives, mushrooms, tomatoes Cheese lovers: mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta Hawaiian: Canadian bacon, pineapple, mozzarella Mushroom & Olive: mushrooms, green or black olives, mozzarella Trendy, but Tasty They may be modern, but it’s only a matter of time before these trendy pizza toppings graduate to classic staples on any menu.
- Inspired by the cuisine beloved by fast food connoisseurs of all ages, these unique toppings will have any junk food foodie asking for seconds.
- Cheeseburger: hamburger, bacon, onion, cheddar cheese Taco pie: ground beef, refried beans, salsa, black olives, mozzarella, crushed tortilla chips BBQ Chicken: bbq sauce, chicken, bacon, red onion, cheddar cheese Chicken Bacon Ranch: chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing Buffalo Chicken: chicken, buffalo sauce, onion, bacon, blue cheese, ranch dressing Gourmet for Gastros Amping up the flavor with cured meats, farm-fresh cheeses, and roasted veggies, this list of gourmet pizza toppings will inspire gastronomes and foodies alike.
- If the option is available, try these flavors on thin or neopolitan-style pizza crusts.
- Fig & Pig: prosciutto, fig jam, ricotta cheese White Clam Pizza: clams, roasted garlic, pecorino romano Pesto with Prawns: grilled prawns, pesto, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella Roasted Beet: goat cheese, roasted beets, arugula salad Potato & Pesto: roasted potatoes, pesto sauce, caramelized onions, mozzarella Adventurous Eaters For the truly adventurous eater, these pizza toppings are obscure but obsession-worthy.
- If you’re looking for a new pie that’s a bit out of the ordinary but utterly delicious, these bold combinations will have your mouth watering and your taste buds rejoicing.
- Anchovy and Ricotta: anchovies, roasted garlic, ricotta cheese Lox and Cheese: lox or smoked salmon, red onion, capers, mascarpone cheese Pastrami and Sauerkraut: pastrami, sauerkraut, thousand island, Swiss cheese Crab Pie: crab meat, caramelized onions, mozzarella, parmigiano cheese Corn and Ham: ham, sweet corn, mozzarella, crème fraiche
The Absolute Best Pizza Topping Combos
Looking for some inspiration for your next homemade pizza or build-your-own pie? This list of awesome pizza topping combinations is guaranteed to have at least one that tickles your fancy.
These classic pizza topping combinations are both field-tested and battle-worn. It has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the following combinations of flavors make for some incredibly delicious pizzas.
For the carnivorous folk…
Pepperoni and sausage
There’s no topping this healthy combination of cured meats (see what we did there?). Pepperoni and sausage is an absolute classic and makes for one of the most satisfying pies of them all.
A meat overload? You can never have enough meat on your pizza! Taking it a step further than just a simple pepperoni and sausage pizza, other favorite meaty toppings of ours include ham, bacon, beef, salami, and salsiccia. You can’t go wrong with any combination of these delectable meats.
For plant lovers…
Just as with an overloaded meat pizza, except this time on the opposite side of the spectrum, a great veggie pizza can be cobbled together with anything of your liking! We recommend a healthy mix of mushrooms, red onions, bell peppers, black olives, tomatoes, and spinach. If you want to get a little more experimental, perhaps try some sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts as well!
A little bit (or a lot!) of both…
- Per the dictionary, the word ‘supreme’ is used to describe something “very great or intense.” That seems like the perfect word to describe a giant pizza loaded up with both meats and vegetables!
- Then again, ‘supreme’ is also defined as “involving death,” but that definition doesn’t seem like it fits as well in this particular scenario.
- A supreme pizza should be awe-inspiring enough to rule over both the carnivores and the omnivores and, thus, should not be skimped on.
- Our favorite toppings for a supreme pizza include pepperoni, sausage, olives, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, and onions.
- Whatever you decide to put on it, the only requirement is that you have a lot of it!
- Recommended Read The Indisputable Top Ten Classic Pizza Varieties
Other classic combos…
Well, Hawaiian pizza is certainly a niche option. It is typically topped with pineapple, Canadian bacon, and mozzarella, but it sure is delicious. Fun fact, Hawaiian pizza was not created in Hawaii. It was actually conceptualized and invented in Ontario, Canada. So really, it should be called Ontarian pizza.
For the simpler folk…
- Let’s face the facts.
- Pizza is honestly just an excuse to spread tomato sauce onto a delicious crust, melt a combination of cheeses onto it, and put it into our faces.
- Sometimes, people want nothing more than that, and that’s totally fine.
- It doesn’t mean you can’t spruce up your selection of cheeses though!
- Classic choices like mozzarella and parmesan are a must, but you can also try other types like cheddar, gorgonzola, provolone, goat cheese, bleu cheese, ricotta, and Havarti.
- Get crazy with it!
- Recommended Read A Brief History of Cheese
Less “classic” but still delicious
Tastes like chicken…
Hot wing pizza
- We bet that a lot of you didn’t even know there was such a thing.
- If you haven’t tried or made a hot wing pizza, you’re doing yourself a grave disservice.
- This pie that’s perfect for both pizza and chicken wing lovers requires chicken (naturally), buffalo sauce, bacon, and bleu cheese.
- Don’t forget to serve it with ranch dressing, bleu cheese dressing, and celery sticks!
- If you want, you can also spice up your pizza with some onion as well.
BBQ chicken pizza
This sweet and savory pie replaces traditional pizza sauce with BBQ sauce. Top this pizza with a combination of chicken, bacon, red onions, and cheddar cheese. If you do it well, it’ll taste just like a backyard barbecue!
On the beefier side…
- Pizza and hamburgers?
- What could possibly go wrong?
- Now, this is one that you can really get creative with.
- I mean, how many different toppings can you put on a hamburger?
- Obviously, you need to start with ground beef, but then you can top it with bacon, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and even pickles!
- Heck, if you want to turn it into a CHEESEburger pizza, you just need to add some cheddar or pepper jack.
- Now, you’re probably wondering what to do about the sauce… typical tomato sauce probably wouldn’t be very good.
- There are a number of different options, all of which depend solely on your personal preference.
- You could use barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, or a combination of sauces.
- We recommend that you don’t go too overboard with whatever you choose.
- Keep it fairly light.
- Recommended Read 72 Pizza Trivia Questions for Your Next Game Night!
Taco pizza is similar conceptually to a cheeseburger pizza, except this time you’ll be adapting taco ingredients instead of burger ingredients. For a good “sauce,” we recommend spreading out refried beans and then topping it with tomatoes, lettuce, black olives, jalapenos, salsa, ground beef, and cheese. Other toppings include sour cream, tortilla strips, guacamole, and onions.
Slightly more unorthodox combinations…
Pizza for breakfast? Yes, please. However, there’s no rule that says that you have to eat breakfast pizza at breakfast time. Load it up with any and all of your favorite breakfast foods. Eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, salsa, cheese, mushrooms, and onions are all great choices.
One could argue that Margherita pizza is a classic, but we feel that it is not as commonplace as other types of pizza. Named after Queen Margherita of Italy, a typical Margherita pizza contains a fresh combination of basil, mozzarella, and tomatoes, drizzled in olive oil.
Last but not least, we have BLT pizza. It’s a BLT, except it’s pizza. Spread mayonnaise onto your crust and top it with Monterey jack cheese, bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes! To shake things up a bit, you can add chicken, roasted turkey, or avocado and sprinkle it with black pepper.
Excellent pizza topping combos from Dogtown Pizza!
- There you are!
- We’re hoping you feel a little bit more inspired now.
- However, if you still don’t feel like going to the trouble of purchasing ingredients and assembling your own pie, you can always head to the grocery store and pick up some Dogtown Pizza.
- Dogtown Pizza is the best St.
- Louis-style pizza money can buy, conveniently frozen for your cooking pleasure.
- We have a great selection of different pizzas, including classics like Pepperoni and Cheese and more unique varieties like Hot Wing and Tomato Basil Garlic.
- Take a look at all of our different pizza varieties!
What is the best combination of pizza toppings?
- The Best Pizza Topping Combinations
- Pepperoni and Cheese. Although this is a simple topping combination, it is one of the most popular for a reason.
- The Works. Why choose only a few toppings when you can have them all?
- Bacon and Pineapple.
- Chicken and Barbeque Sauce.
- Pineapple and Black Olive.
What pizza toppings go well with sausage?
From hot-links and Italian sausage to crumbled sausage, whatever type of sausage you order, it comes packed with flavors and spices that meat-lovers crave. Some toppings that go well with sausage include onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos.
What toppings are on a Neapolitan pizza?
Neapolitan-Style Pizza That is topped with a simple tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil.
Can you put raw sausage on a pizza?
Still, I prefer pinched raw sausage for any style of pizza. This will allow your raw sausage to cook better, faster and more thoroughly. You should also apply any raw ingredient on the top of your pizza and make it the last ingredient before going into your oven.
What toppings are on a Domino’s deluxe pizza?
Deluxe includes pepperoni, Italian sausage, fresh green peppers, mushrooms, onions and 100 percent real mozzarella cheese. ExtravaganZZa combines pepperoni, ham, Italian sausage, beef, onions, green peppers, mushrooms and black olives topped with extra mozzarella.
What pizza toppings go well with pepperoni?
- What toppings go with pepperoni pizza?
- bell peppers.
- hot peppers.
- various types of cheese.
Which is worse pepperoni or sausage?
What is worse sausage or pepperoni? One ounce of pepperoni contains 12.31 grams of total fat, 4.16 grams of which are saturated. A serving of sausage has 13.61 grams of total fat, 4.39 grams of which are saturated. … Turkey sausage has 5.95 grams of fat per serving, 1.29 grams of which are saturated.
Do you put toppings or cheese on pizza first?
When making pizza what goes on first? Typically tomato sauce will go on first on top of the dough, then cheese and then toppings. This allows the cheese to bubble and brown and the toppings to get direct heat and become crisp.
What pizza toppings go with bacon?
- What Pizza Toppings Go with Bacon?
- Black Olives.
- Pepperoni and Sausage.
- Sauteed Onions.
- Fresh tomatoes.
- More Bacon.
Can I put raw bacon on pizza?
Yes, you can put raw bacon on pizza. However, the rendered fat from the bacon will end up on your pizza and will not make it taste all that great. Also, the bacon will not likely be that well cooked in the 7-9 minutes it spends in a 500–550F oven. If you don’t want that to overwhelm your pizza, use bacon sparingly.
What toppings are on a meat lovers pizza?
Homemade thin crust pizza, topped off with two types of cheese, bacon, ham, pepperoni and hot sausage! A must make for meat lover’s.
What is on a Dominos meat lovers pizza?
Beef Is a Must-Order for Meat Lovers In our MeatZZa Feast® pizza, we combine beef with pepperoni, ham, and Italian sausage topped with extra mozzarella to create a carnivore’s delight.
What is a classic meat pizza?
Pizza shell topped with pizza sauce, Italian Sausage, Beef Topping, Bacon Pieces, Sliced Pepperoni, and Mozzarella cheese.
What meat is pepperoni?
Pepperoni in the United States is a raw sausage made of beef and pork or pork only. Products made of 100% beef must be called beef pepperoni.
Question: What Is The Best Pizza Topping Combination
Check out this article for ideas for the best pizza topping combos.BBQ Chicken. Pineapple and Canadian Bacon. Feta Cheese With Sundried Tomatoes, Spinach, and Black Olives. Classic Meat or Veggie Pizza. Chicken Pesto Pizza. The Best Pizza Topping Combos–Create Your Own.
What’s the best 3 topping pizza combination?
ResultsPepperoni, Mushrooms and Banana Peppers. Sausage, Mushrooms and Green Olives. Pepperoni, Green Olives and Bacon. Pepperoni, Sausage and Banana Peppers. Bacon, Pineapple and Mushroom. Pepperoni, Mushroom and Green Pepper. Ham, Jalapenos and Pineapple. Italian Sausage, Black Olives and Artichoke Hearts.
What’s the best 2 topping pizza combo?
What are your favorite 2-topping pizza combinations?Italian Sausage and Pepperoni. 14 votes. Ham (or Canadian Bacon) and Pineapple. 13 votes. Chicken and Bacon. 9 votes. Bacon and Pepperoni. 7 votes. Pepperoni and Black Olive. 6 votes. Pepperoni and Mushroom. 6 votes. sausage and bacon. 4 votes. Pepperoni and Jalapeno. 4 votes.
Which is the most delicious pizza?
A Guide to Making the Five Most Iconic Pizzas of All TimeMargherita Pizza. Margherita is the mother of all pizzas. Pepperoni Pizza. We’d wager that pepperoni is still America’s number-one, most-popular pizza topping. BBQ Chicken Pizza. Hawaiian Pizza. Meat-Lover’s Pizza.
What is the most popular pizza in the world?
8 most popular pizzas from across the world03/10Neapolitan Pizza. 04/10Chicago Pizza. 05/10New York Style Pizza. 06/10Sicilian Pizza. 07/10Greek Pizza. 08/10California Pizza. 09/10Detroit Pizza. 10/10St. Louis Pizza.
What are Dominos best toppings?
What Are the Most Popular Pizza Toppings?Onions. Sausage. Bacon. Extra cheese. Black olives. Green peppers. Pineapple. Spinach.
What pizza toppings go well with bacon?
What Pizza Toppings Go with Bacon?Pineapple. Black Olives. Mushrooms. Pepperoni and Sausage. Eggs. Sauteed Onions. Fresh tomatoes. More Bacon.
What topping goes best with pepperoni?
What toppings go with pepperoni pizza?olives. bell peppers. hot peppers. pineapple. sausage. various types of cheese. chicken. arugula.
Which pizza is best for beginners?
1.DominosFarm House- This pizza from Domino’s goes ballistic with all the vegetables. It has a blend of capsicum, onion, tomato and mushrooms. Peppy Paneer Pizza– There’s nothing complete without paneer in it. Double Cheese Margherita- The double cheese margherita is what you need for satisfying your cheese cravings.
What is the most ordered pizza?
In a poll of more than 6,000 US adults, America’s favorite pizza topping is pepperoni. About two-thirds (64%) of Americans say they like this topping. Other popular additions among US adults are sausage (56%), mushrooms (54%), extra cheese (52%), and onions (48%).
Which is the best Ovenstory pizza?
5 Best Ovenstory Pizzas You Must Try Peri-Peri Picante Paneer PizzaSpanish Sunshine PizzaThe Famous Five Cheese Burst PizzaPeri-Peri Non-Veg Paradise PizzaChicken Kheema and Sausage Cheese Burst Pizza.
What is the least popular pizza topping?
The survey, which was commissioned by Columbus, Ohio-based pizza chain Donatos and conducted by OnePoll, revealed that the three least-welcome toppings are, in order, anchovies, pineapple, and jalapeno peppers.5 days ago.
What’s a Sicilian style pizza?
Sicilian pizza is pizza prepared in a manner that originated in Sicily, Italy.Traditional Sicilian pizza is often thick crusted and rectangular, but can also be round and similar to the Neapolitan pizza. It is often topped with onions, anchovies, tomatoes, herbs and strong cheese such as caciocavallo and toma.
What is America’s favorite pizza topping?
Pepperoni Almost all Americans consistently love pepperoni as a Thor pizza topping. We can see, around half of all Domino’s pizzas have used pepperoni for pizza toppings. According to a survey of over 6,000 people, pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in America.
What’s on a Dominos combination pizza?
More Ham Combinations Domino’s Pizza restaurants include it on the ExtravaganZZa Feast® pizza with pepperoni, Italian sausage, beef, fresh onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and black olives topped with extra cheese made with 100 percent real mozzarella.
Which pizza base is best in Dominos?
Wheat Thin Crust: Another great variant is the Wheat Thin Crust Pizza. This type of crust is a great option for all those who like to indulge in the yummy Domino’s pizzas while keeping their meals light. This crust is lighter, healthier, and delicious.
Which Dominos sauce is best?
If you prefer less spicy sauces, opt for the Hearty Marinara sauce. Those who like a home-cooked, smoky taste, should try topping their crust with Domino’s BBQ sauce. Or, if you have a penchant for creamier sauces, we recommend garlic Parmesan white sauce or Alfredo sauce.
Do you put cheese on pizza first or last?
Do you put toppings or cheese on pizza first? When making pizza what goes on first? Typically tomato sauce will go on first on top of the dough, then cheese and then toppings. This allows the cheese to bubble and brown and the toppings to get direct heat and become crisp.
Do you cook bacon before you put it on pizza?
Meats. Pizzas usually don’t take very long to bake, and the bake time is really to crisp the dough and melt the cheese. Raw meats — like sausage, chicken, or bacon — usually won’t cook through in the short baking time, so they should be precooked.
Do I cook onions before putting on pizza?
Onions should be pan sautéed with a little olive oil until soft and caramelized before putting on top of a pizza. Raw onions contain a lot of moisture and will not cook evenly if baked on top of a raw pizza dough. One exception is red onion which can be sliced very thin and placed raw on the pizza to cook in the oven.
The Best Pizza Topping Combinations, According to Experts
Can we all agree that pizza is the best food invention ever made? With so many topping variations to choose from (let’s face it, anything tastes good on cheese and bread), there’s something for everyone. Ahead, we share some of the best pizza topping combinations to choose from — including a healthy option (page 6) — according to the pizza pros.
1. Ham and pineapple
Many people love this combo. | bhofack2/iStock/Getty Images This one is a little more obvious, but it’s worth mentioning. According to Pizza Planet, “many know this combination as the Hawaiian Pizza, a name that most likely came from the pineapple topping. Typically, the meat on this meal is Canadian bacon, but other types of ham can be used.” Next: A different take on surf and turf
2. Bacon and shrimp
- It’s great for a summer cookout.
- FSerega/iStock/Getty Images Another delicious combination experts love?
- Bacon and shrimp.
- Pizza Planet swears by this topping combination for summer cookouts.
- “The shrimp and bacon should be cooked before being placed on your pizza,” writes the pizzeria.
- “Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the sauce.
- Adding red onions to this creation is also an option for additional great flavor,” it adds.
- Next: This combo is an oldie but goodie.
3. Barbecue sauce and chicken
- Swap tomato sauce for barbecue sauce.
- iStock/Getty Images Like ham and pineapple, you might already be familiar with swapping tomato sauce for barbecue sauce for a delicious barbecue chicken pizza.
- “These toppings offer a whole new way of experiencing this favorite summertime food,” writes Pizza Planet.
- In addition to chicken, you can add fresh peppers, onions, and other veggies for extra flavor.
- Next: Calling all taco lovers!
4. Taco toppings
It’s the best of both worlds. | Rimma_Bondarenko/iStock/Getty Images If you love Mexican food, Pizza Planet suggests combining the ingredients in tacos and spreading them on top of picante sauce on a crust for the ultimate taco pizza. “This is a Mexican treat for those that love tacos as much as pizza,” writes the pizzeria. Next: Speaking of Mexican food …
5. Chicken fajita pizza
It’s for when you can’t decide. | Bartosz Luczak/iStock/Getty Images If you prefer chicken fajitas over tacos, this one’s for you. According to The Cozy Apron, adding chicken fajita ingredients on top of pizza makes for one flavorful combo. Next: Add some leafy greens to your pizza for the ultimate texture combination.
6. Kale, ricotta, and sausage
- You can pretend it’s healthy.
- iStock/Getty Images Add some “health” to your pizza with a kale, ricotta, and sausage pizza.
- “To prepare this meal, you should lightly steam the kale before place and baking it on your pizza.
- You want this topping to be wilted and bright green,” writes Pizza Planet.
- “When you bake the pizza the kale will get crispy, giving this meal and enjoyable texture combination.” Next: Use this popular pizza dressing in lieu of red sauce for a delicious topping.
7. Garlic and ranch
- Try garlic ranch sauce instead of tomato sauce.
- IslandLeigh/iStock/Getty Images If you love to dip your pizza in ranch dressing, this one’s for you.
- According to this recipe by Lauren from Tastes Better From Scratch, ranch and garlic are the ultimate pizza toppings.
- That is why she decided to make a special homemade garlic ranch sauce (in lieu of red sauce) for this recipe.
- Check out The Cheat Sheet on Facebook!
5 Pizza Topping Combinations to Revolutionize Your Pizza Order
- It’s a day that ends in ‘y’ and you’re craving a big ol’ pizza pie.
- Maybe you’ve got a lot of energy and decide to make one yourself, or the more likely case — you pull out your phone and call Domino’s or a local pizza joint to satisfy your cravings for you.
- Now, if you’re like me and my friends, you’ve got some coupons for two-topping pizzas and no one knows what pizza topping combinations they want.
- But don’t panic, you can avoid those half-hour long discussions (which usually just end in extra cheese and pepperoni) and instead order up some pizza that tastes utterly divine and makes you feel like an actual adult.
- Here are five pizza topping combinations to help revolutionize your pizza order and maybe even change your life.
1. Spinach, feta, mushroom, sausage
- First on the list is a classic way to depart from the conventional.
- Best with a white sauce instead of the traditional marinara, spinach, feta, mushroom and sausage is an easy and always tasty go-to.
- Spinach and feta are a classic combination where a bitter green meets the creaminess of feta, often found together in spanakopita, quiche and savory pastries.
- Join them together with mushrooms and sausage to create a rich and hearty meal that’s much more satisfying than a plain cheese pizza.
2. Roasted pear or apple, goat cheese, caramelized onions, balsamic drizzle
- Don’t let the pineapple-on-pizza debate steer you away from fruit on pizza, because you’d be missing out big-time!
- Roasted pear and apple slices are two of my all time favorite pizza toppings and bring an extremely pleasant but not overwhelmingly sweet, juicy flavor to the table.
- Figs, cranberries and grapes are other common fruits to put on pizzas, as all of which go remarkably well with cheese — think charcuterie boards.
- With pear and apple on pizza, you usually want to play up the creamy factor to complement the sweet and earthier flavors the fruit offer.
- That means tending towards a white sauce as a base instead of the conventional marinara and choosing your cheeses wisely.
- Goat cheese or gorgonzola are two popular options as they’re both extremely creamy, rich and will leave you feeling like actual royalty.
- Top with some caramelized onions and balsamic drizzle to add a little kick.
- Other popular additions include fresh arugula and chopped pecans or walnuts.
3. Pesto, fresh or sun-dried tomato, mozzarella
- Pesto, traditionally made from basil, pine nuts, olive oil, Parmesan cheese and some garlic, is a delicious sauce that can be used to liven up your traditional pizza order.
- You can either try it as a base sauce or drizzle it on top.
- Beyond the sauce, try out toppings of fresh or sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Fresh tomatoes will be juicy and help cut through the salt from the pesto, while sun-dried tomatoes will add some unexpected tanginess.
- The mozzarella comes in and ties everything together, and ta-da: a tasty yet simple pizza to rule them all.
4. Zucchini, spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, tomato, mushroom, garlic
- Veggie lovers unite!
- These seven toppings are my absolute favorite when I crave pizza but still want to meet my daily vegetable needs.
- Zucchini, spinach, broccoli and Brussels sprouts offer some extremely pleasant crunch, while tomatoes and mushroom bring some juicy goodness to the party.
- Plus, broccoli roasted in the oven is the best way to enjoy the cruciferous veggie.
- And I know what you’re thinking, Brussels sprouts on a pizza, that’s nuts, but trust me, you will be delightfully surprised.
- I recommend chopping them up a bit beforehand though.
- Finally, top with some roasted or minced garlic to bring some heat and extra flavor to your creation.
5. BBQ sauce, chicken, bacon, onion
- Perhaps the holy grail of pizza topping combinations is BBQ chicken.
- An easy way to recreate a favorite food on top of a pizza, the sweet and tangy flavor of BBQ sauce combined with chicken, some savory bacon, melty cheese and onions will leave you feeling comforted and satisfied — more than pepperoni pizza ever could.
- Just remember, when that late-night pizza craving comes around and you’re not sure what to get, don’t hesitate to try out a new pizza topping combination — you may even discover a new favorite.
Pizza Toppings: The Most Popular in 2020
It’s all fine and good to know what “America’s” favorite pizza toppings are or even to learn about favorite pizza toppings by state, but we wanted to know about the most popular pizza toppings in our own backyards. That’s why we surveyed our biggest fans from both our Chicago and Morton Grove restaurants to see what they consider their favorite toppings on our favorite food.
The Search for Your Favorite Pizza Toppings
- Okay, okay, so maybe this wasn’t the most scientific survey design.
- We’re a pizzeria, not a sociology department.
- We just thought it would be fun to see how many people actually like anchovies and whether you’re all a bunch of meatheads or are willing to put some vegetables on your pies.
- And if you’re not having fun in the pizza business, you’re doing something wrong.
- We collected data from just over 500 folks out there about common pizza toppings.
- Yes, we asked about pineapple.
- No, we didn’t ask about more esoteric or unique ingredients like shrimp or truffles.
- We only had so much room on the survey.
- Then we got down to analyzing the results.
Our Totally Expert Analysis of Your Top Toppings
- When asked which toppings would be on your favorite pizza and let you choose as many as you liked, the clear winner was…
- can you guess?
- Pepperoni, of course.
- Slightly more than two-thirds (68%) of people said they loved pepperoni on their pizza.
- That’s compared with a score of 47% for sausage.
- Meats like ham, Canadian bacon, and Italian beef all came in at 20% or less.
- But here was a real shocker: Sausage was not the number two ingredient.
- Rather, your second favorite topping was mushrooms!
- That means more people are ordering mushrooms on their pizzas than sausage.
- Now, if you’re like us, you probably think those two go pretty well together.
- This is pizza, so to each their own, but take it from us, if you like sausage and mushroom separately, you’ll love them partying together on a pizza.
- That means sausage was number three, right?
Wrong.The number three ingredient was extra cheese.Can’t say we blame you.
It’s hard to get enough of that gooey mozzarella, and it’s great for holding your pepperoni and mushrooms in place.Sausage, in fact, came in fourth in our survey and it represented one of only two meats to make the top 10 (pepperoni, obviously, being the other).You guys like your vegetables!What about pineapple and anchovies?Well, pineapple didn’t make the top 10, but only by a few votes.
It was 11th overall with a preference of about 23%.To learn how anchovies fared, you’ll have to check out part two of our survey report.(Spoiler: It’s called “The Least Popular Pizza Toppings.”)
Geeking Out on Meat and Vegetable Subcategory Data
- But that’s not all!
- If we really geek out, we can drill down a little farther into meats and vegetables separately.
- Here we find the data…
- more or less matching the overall rankings pretty closely.
- The top three meats are, in order, pepperoni, sausage, and bacon.
- But check out these percentages: Pepperoni received over twice as many votes as sausage, and sausage received over twice as many votes as bacon, which only received 8.5% of the votes.
- In other words, many of you might choose two or even all three of these for any given pie, but if your back was against the wall (say, if you were doing a scientifically sketchy Pequod’s online survey), you’re on Team Pepperoni.
- Perhaps not surprisingly, the same goes for veggies.
- The top three vegetable toppings were mushroom, onion, and green pepper.
- Mushroom outscored onion about 2 to 1, while green pepper was only 3% behind onion.
- Interestingly, the overall distribution was closer than with the meats, and green pepper outscored black olives, though they came in lower in overall rankings.
- Our expert interpretation?
You feel less passionate about your vegetable toppings and probably include two or more whenever you put them on your pie.You may like some of them in combination more than you care for them individually.With the possible exception of green pepper people, who though a smaller portion of you, feel strongly enough to prefer them to the otherwise popular black olives.
The Top 10 Pizza Toppings
- Here they are, then, your top 10 pizza toppings, ranked by how many people in our survey said they would include these ingredients in their favorite pizza:
- Extra cheese
- Black olives
- Green pepper
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh basil
- How many of your favorite toppings made our top 10?
- How well did your favorite meat or veggie fare compared to the alternatives?
- Did your fellow Pequod’s customers surprise you in their topping preferences?
- You have read about the most popular toppings, now see what customers had to say were their least favorite pizza toppings.
- The good news is you can always get what you want on your pie no matter how popular or unpopular it is with other people.
- But maybe this will inspire you to be brave next time and finally take a chance on an ingredient you normally shy away from.
- Black olives, anyone?
What are your Top 3 pizza toppings?
- GRAND RAPIDS, MI – A few weeks ago, we posted this question on Facebook, not really thinking about it, just wondering what you liked on your pizza.We asked: ″What are your Top 3 toppings?”That sparked nearly 300 comments and a wide variety of responses and combinations.We were blown away by the feedback and how fast the answers were coming in.Our picks:John – Pepperoni, Mushrooms and Banana Peppers.Amy – Sausage, Mushrooms and Green Olives.“And it needs to be heavy-handed on the sausage,” Amy said.With Super Bowl LIV right around the corner, and with millions of pies expected to be ordered from local stores and national chains, we thought we would ask MLive readers for their Top 3 pizza toppings.We did a version of this in 2016 when we did our search for Michigan’s Best Pizza, asking readers to build the perfect pizza.ResultsThe Top 3 meat toppings: Pepperoni, Bacon and Sausage.The Top 3 veggie toppings: Fresh Mushrooms, Onions and Green Pepper.But that doesn’t really settle it.
- What’s that perfect combination?Please enter your picks in the poll below.
- We will keep it open until 8 a.m.
- Thursday, Jan.
- 30 and then reveal the results.
- Just for fun, of course.Feel free to email us if you want to explain your choices.Amy is at [email protected] is at [email protected] to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.
15 Deliciously Popular Pizza Toppings
- Wonderful pizza.
- What’s not to love about homemade bread smothered with sauce, cheese, and toppings of your choice?
- In our humble opinion, absolutely nothing.
- Even the pickiest eaters love a simple cheese pizza.
- For adventurous eaters, though, pizza is an endless experiment.
- It all starts with the bread, and there are plenty of options: flatbread, thin-crust, whole wheat, stuffed crust, French bread, deep dish, and the list goes on.
- Next comes the sauce, and even though red sauces are the go-to, white sauces, pesto, barbecue sauces, and other creations can set the base for the pizza.
- And finally, the toppings.
- Pizza toppings usually start with a type of cheese, but from there, you can pile on whatever your heart desires (unless your heart desires anchovies—please don’t do that).
- Whether you’re making pizza at home, ordering delivery, or visiting a local pizza joint, deciding which toppings you want can be a lengthy process.
- Some pizza toppings can divide a room (ahem, pineapple), but others are universally loved.
These are the best and most popular pizza toppings, plus a few recipes for you try them out with.
A Guide to Making the Five Most Iconic Pizzas of All Time
- Trendy pizza toppings come and go, but few topping combinations are so everlasting that they become iconic pizzas in their own right.
- These are the pizzas you see at every pizza joint and on every delivery menu, and the pizzas we believe every home cook should be able to replicate at home.
- These are the five most iconic pizzas of all time!Margherita is the mother of all pizzas.
- This Neopaltian-style pizza has thin crust, fresh tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, and just a few leaves of basil.
- Margherita’s toppings are simple but they also have the power to be truly sublime in a way few other toppings can be.
How to Make Margherita Pizza at Home
- Bake this pizza in a very hot oven or, better yet, on the grill.
- Rolling or stretching the dough thin for this pizza is paramount to get the crisp but still pliable crust, ensuring that the sauce and cheese just barely cook while the crust blisters.
- Fresh, in-season tomatoes are ideal for making the sauce, but use canned whole San Marzano tomatoes for the other 10 months of the year.
- Never cook the sauce for margarita pizzas.
- Fresh mozzarella should be sliced thick and laid in a patchwork over the sauce.We’d wager that pepperoni is still America’s number-one, most-popular pizza topping.
- This singular topping even graces the pizza emoji!
- It makes sense if you really consider everything that is good about pepperoni: The salty and slightly spicy taste holds its own against waves of melty, gooey cheese and gets ever-so-slightly crisped in the hot oven in such a crave-worthy way that no one can resist pulling them straight from the smoldering hot pizza and dropping them directly into their mouths.
How to Make the Best Pepperoni Pizza at Home
- Go all in on pepperoni when using it as the only topping.
- Make a single layer of pepperoni on top of the sauce before adding the cheese and another layer of pepperoni on top.
- Grease can be a concern with pepperoni pizza, so stick with part-skim mozzarella and Parmesan cheese for topping pepperoni pizzas.BBQ chicken is reported to be the invention of California Pizza Kitchen’s original pizza chef Ed LaDou in 1985.
- His original pizza creation was made with BBQ sauce, chicken, cilantro, red onions, and fontina cheese and remains on the CPK menu to this day.
- BBQ Pizza is beloved because it walks the border of sweet and savory and makes the best use of leftover chicken.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Pizza at Home
- BBQ chicken pizza does not, as its name suggests, require a barbecue pit.
- Instead, use an equal mixture of smoky barbecue and tomato sauces.
- The cooked chicken can be cubed or shredded and must be held in place with a combination of cheeses: cheddar or Gouda and part-skim mozzarella are a nice mix.
- Whisper-thin red onion slices add bite and contrasting texture and flavor to the pizza.A combination of tomato sauce, cheese, ham, and pineapple that is as beloved as it is despised still makes our list of iconic pizzas.
- Hawaiian pizza was reportedly invented in Canada, not the American islands it is named for.
- Like BBQ chicken pizza, those who love it cite the sweet and savory combination as the biggest draw to this popular pizza.
How to Make Hawaiian Pizza at Home
- While you’ll occasionally find rogue recipes for Hawaiian pizza with barbecue sauce instead of pizza sauce, a simple red sauce should be your base for this classic pizza topping.
- Skip fresh pineapple and instead go straight for canned pineapple rings and cut them into bite-sized pieces, just like the pizza place does.
- And for the ham, choose something from the deli such as black forrest or honey-baked ham sliced thinly and cut up for topping.Meat-lover’s pizza is the hero of our iconic pizzas, as it holds the most toppings on a single pie: pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, and mushrooms all come together in this hearty, super-savory pizza.
- Meat-lover’s pizza is our go-to when feeding a hungry crowd.
How to Make Meat-Lover’s Pizza at Home
- Meat-lover’s pizza needs a relatively thick crust to hold onto all of its toppings.
- Grease and moisture are concerns when it comes to baking this pizza pie, so par-cook or “dock” (that is, stab it with a fork a few times to create vent holes) before topping and baking.
- Meatballs, sausage, and mushrooms should be cooked before topping the pizza too, which helps prevent a soggy-bottomed crust.
- Meghan SplawnFood Editor, SkillsMeghan was the Food Editor for Kitchn’s Skills content.
- She’s a master of everyday baking, family cooking, and harnessing good light.
- Meghan approaches food with an eye towards budgeting — both time and money — and having fun.
- Meghan has a baking and pastry degree, and spent the first 10 years of her career as part of Alton Brown’s culinary team.
- She co-hosts a weekly podcast about food and family called Didn’t I Just Feed You.Follow Meghan
Most Popular Pizza Toppings in the U.S.
- It may sound silly, but there are many researchers out there who study pizza trends–particularly the most popular pizza toppings.
- That’s because pizza is, undoubtedly, such a large part of American life.
- It’s how we celebrate, it’s part of our relaxation routine, and it’s a comfort food when we are sad.
- In America alone, 93% of individuals eat pizza each month.
- Surveys show that Americans consume an average of 46 slices per year each.
- Just below half of all Americans, or 40%, eat pizza on a weekly basis.
- That’s a lot of pizza.
- Of course, with pizza orders comes the endless possibility of topping combinations.
- Some people are meat-lovers and load their pies up with meatballs and sausage, pepperoni and ham.
- Others love veggies and pile their cheesy creations with peppers and onions, eggplant, or spinach and olives.
- There’s really no way that you can go wrong.
- But what are the most popular pizza toppings?
Are there some that are favored more than others?Of course, there are.Some people swear by adding sardines to their pies, but that’s not the norm.
Here are the 10 most popular pizza toppings in the United States.
Most Popular Pizza Toppings
To start off with some basic statistics, research shows that 62% of pizza lovers across the United States prefer meat on top of their pies, while 38% prefer veggies. That’s not to say that some people don’t mix and match; we know that many certainly do.
This may not come as a surprise, but pepperoni is by far the most popular pizza topping in the United States. It’s added to 36% of all pies, and Americans consume more than 250 MILLION pounds of pepperoni annually.
2. Extra Cheese
Also a classic, many Americans order extra cheese on their pies. Here at Hungry Howie’s®, we can’t blame them. Our 100% mozzarella cheese is to die for. Hot, melty, and oh-so-satisfying, it’s hard to say no to an order of extra cheese on your pizza.
While mushrooms give many the ″eek″ factor, they are actually the third most popular pizza topping in the United States. This may be because they go well with both veggie and meat pies, adding extra flavor to whatever delicious creation they top.
Another surprise on the list, onions rank right after mushrooms in terms of popularity. Again, this may be since they complement both veggie and meat-topped pizzas, adding a slight crunch and a fresh taste.
You likely guessed that sausage would make the list, and it comes in at number 5. It’s often combined with meatballs, pepperoni, and even bacon. Individuals also love to pair it with toppings such as green peppers and black olives. You can order it sweet or spicy, depending on your mood.
6. Black Olives
- Olives are a topic of much debate.
- You either love them or hate them.
- But even if you’re not a fan, they still make the top ten pizza topping list.
- Included on many ″supreme″ and ″deluxe″ pizzas, they’re considered standard when you’re ordering a pie with all the extras.
- In fact, if you want to stay away from the little black slices you may have to ask your local pizza joint to leave them off when ordering the special pie.
7. Green Peppers
By now you may be surprised to find that so many veggies are making the list, when 62% of Americans state they prefer meat toppings. It’s probably because Pepperoni and Sausage make up such a large percent that the veggies are added after in so many combinations.
That’s right folks, possibly the most divisive pizza topping of all time, pineapple is the 8th most popular pizza topping in the United States. It pairs well with ham, bacon, and savory cheese. We’re guessing that it makes the list because pineapple pizza lovers tend to be die-hard fans.
Another underdog that’s coming out on top is spinach. Spinach goes well on white pies, with extra garlic, and on veggie pizzas. If you’re looking to add a little green to your pie, we suggest you give it a try.
10. No Topping at All
We’re not sure if this order actually comes in last, but it’s worth noting that nearly one out of every three pizzas in the United States is ordered as-is. That means 33% of individuals order a plain pie, just cheese, no extras. While we’re all for toppings here at Hungry Howie’s®, we also can’t blame you for sticking with the classic. Every pizza is perfect, toppings or not.
- We gave a good overview of the most popular pizza toppings in the United States, some of which we’re surprised to see ourselves.
- But there are a few honorable mentions.
- First, we’d like to recognize anchovies as America’s least favorite pizza topping.
- For all you anchovy lovers out there, we still have your backs.
- Another honorable mention is that a significant portion of orders request ″half and half″ toppings.
- Half pepperoni half plain is the most common, followed by half pepperoni half extra cheese.
- Since these two toppings top the list in popularity, it may not come as a surprise.
Order Your Favorite Toppings Tonight
By now your mouth is probably watering as you dream of your favorite pizza topping. Bring home a Hungry Howie’s® pie tonight to share with the family, or keep to yourself. Whatever toppings you order, we stand behind you. Every pizza is perfect and we love to see the unique combinations our customers come up with. Order pizza online or give us a call for delivery or carry-out.
These are the most liked – and disliked – pizza toppings in America
Survey Reveals America’s Least Popular Pizza Toppings
- Sixty-one percent of respondents to a YouGov survey named anchovies as their least favorite pizza topping.
- Sixty-one percent said anchovies are their least favorite pizza topping, followed by eggplant, artichokes, broccoli and pineapple, according to a YouGov survey.
- Thirty-one percent of Americans prefer thin-crust pizza, while only 18 percent said they like deep-dish pizza the best.
- Related: Pears challenge pineapples as the most controversial yet delicious pizza topping When it comes to the most popular toppings on a pizza slice, anchovies don’t make the cut, according to a new survey by YouGov.
- YouGov surveyed more than 6,100 U.S.
- adults to rank the most popular and least popular pizza toppings.
- In the category of favorite toppings, pepperoni came in at No.
- 1 with thumbs up from 64 percent of respondents.
- When asked to pick their least favorite toppings, 61 percent chose anchovies, the survey found.
- In addition to pepperoni, the most popular pizza toppings included sausage (56 percent), mushrooms (54 percent), extra cheese (52 percent) and onions (48 percent).
- As for the least favorite toppings, eggplant came in at No.
- 2 after anchovies with 52 percent, followed by artichokes (44 percent), broccoli (39 percent) and pineapple (35 percent).
- Related: Pizza fans are tickled by pickle-topped pies About one quarter (26 percent) of the respondents said they like pineapple on pizza.
- In a close battle, thin crust won out as Americans’ favorite type of pizza crust, with 31 percent saying it’s their preferred style.
- Twenty-nine percent prefer regular crust, while 18 percent like deep-dish pizza the best.
Folks in the Midwest (34 percent) and the West (32 percent) prefer thin crust, while the northeast chooses regular crust (34 percent).In the South, it’s a tie between thin crust and regular crust, both at 29 percent.