Brooklyn style pizza is a traditional type of pizza that has been around for many years. It was created in Brooklyn, New York and is known for its thin crust and charred crust. The pizza is typically cooked in a coal or wood-fired oven, which gives it its unique flavor.
The crust is stretched thinner than that of a standard Domino’s pizza, and the cornmeal cooked into the crust gives it certain crispness. The pieces of pepperoni and wads of sausage the company suggests as toppings are freakishly large. The slices are so big you can fold them, which, it seems, is the Brooklyn-y part.
Pizza Hut Hawaiian Chicken Pizza The irony is that while a lot of people seem to think that pineapple should have nothing to do with pizza,the truth is
What is a Brooklyn-style pizza?
A Brooklyn-style pizza is characterized by a thin crust that is crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese made from half skim and half whole milk. The pizza is cut into eight slices and sprinkled with Romano cheese.
What is the difference between Brooklyn style and regular pizza crust?
The Brooklyn Style crust is thin and crunchy, but not quite as crispy as the chain’s Crunchy Thin crust option. Unlike Domino’s traditional Hand Tossed pizza crust, the Brooklyn Style isn’t seasoned with garlic.
What is the difference between Chicago and Brooklyn pizza?
Unlike other pizzas whose crusts are dense, the Brooklyn style pizza’s crust is thin, crunchier, and with an airier feel. Compared to the Chicago one with a soup-like quality, the Brooklyn style is more balanced when it comes to toppings.
Does Domino’s have a Brooklyn style pizza?
In 2006, Domino’s Pizza released its version of a Brooklyn-style pizza. It had cornmeal baked into the crust and a blend of shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese on top. Domino’s also cut the pizza into six slices instead of eight.
What is difference between Brooklyn pizza and regular pizza?
Brooklyn style crust differs from traditional New York pizza in the sense that Brooklyn style is much crispier and has the toppings all the way out at the edge of the crust.
What is special about Brooklyn pizza?
The crust of a Brooklyn-style pizza is what makes it unique. If you prefer a little less dough than what a usual hand-tossed pizza offers but still want a little more than the thinner crusts provide, then Brooklyn pizzas are a great choice. The dough is usually hand-stretched to a particular size, as with many pizzas.
Why is it called Brooklyn Style pizza?
The term “Brooklyn style pizza” was coined by the Domino’s Pizza Company chain of America in 2006. They introduced a pizza they termed “Brooklyn style” with a thinner crust than their other pizzas, and cornmeal cooked into the crust to make it crispier.
Is Brooklyn Style pizza the same as deep dish?
Unlike the usual dense, gummy crust that many are used to, it has a crisper, airier feel. Chicago style (also known as deep-dish) sometimes attracts disdain for having a soup-like quality, but Brooklyn style is much more balanced in its crust-sauce-topping combination.
What kind of crust is Brooklyn style?
The Brooklyn Style crust is thin and crunchy, but not quite as crispy as the chain’s Crunchy Thin crust option. Unlike Domino’s traditional Hand Tossed pizza crust, the Brooklyn Style isn’t seasoned with garlic.
What does Brooklyn style pizza from Dominos look like?
Instead of the gummy, doughy crust you may be used to upon taking delivery of a Domino’s pizza, the Brooklyn Style pie’s is surprisingly thin, somewhat crisp (thanks in large part to a liberal dusting of cornmeal on crust bottom), and much lighter and airier than the chain’s ‘Classic Hand-Tossed’ crust.
Is Brooklyn Style pizza greasy?
I think the Brooklyn moniker is a marketing tag for Domino’s, nothing more. On this pizza, it meant a soft, medium-thick, floppy crust with lots of grease but without a lot of flavor. The crust was almost as good as a DiGiorno frozen pie, with the look, taste, and texture of supermarket Italian bread.
What’s a Sicilian style pizza?
Traditional Sicilian pizza is often thick crusted and rectangular, but can also be round and similar to the Neapolitan pizza. It is often topped with onions, anchovies, tomatoes, herbs and strong cheese such as caciocavallo and toma. Other versions do not include cheese.
What’s the difference between Brooklyn style crust and thin crust pizza?
Both are thinner than the hand tossed pizza; however, the Thin Crust is much thinner than the Brooklyn-style option. In fact, the Thin Crust is so thin that it may feel like a cracker, but it retains some dough to make it soft and a bit crunchier.
What’s the difference between pepperoni and Brooklyn pepperoni?
The difference between Brooklyn pepperoni and original pepperoni is both in size and flavour. The larger Brooklyn pepperoni has additional seasoning and flavours that the original pepperoni does not have.
Which is best crust in Dominos?
Choice Of Crusts
What is the best pizza crust recipe?
How many slices are in a Brooklyn pizza?
How many slices in a large pizza with Brooklyn Style Crust: 6 slices. In addition to hand stretching the crust, we cut these slices extra—big in order to stay true to this pizza’s inspiration. Pile on the pizza toppings, fold up your slice like a true New Yorker, and enjoy! How much is a large 2 topping pizza at Dominos?
What is the best pizza in the Bronx?
What Are the Characteristics of a Brooklyn-Style Pizza?
- It is distinguished by a thin crust that is crispy on the exterior and soft on the inside, as well as tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese that is created from half skim milk and half whole milk, as well as the use of fresh vegetables.
- A slice of Romano cheese is placed on top of each slice of pizza after it has been sliced into eight pieces.
- When the crust is folded, it should have a little crack in it.
- New York pizzas, and Brooklyn pizzas in particular, are known for their distinct flavor and texture, which has been ascribed to the minerals contained in the city’s water supply.
- The crust is produced with a high-gluten wheat to give it its structure.
- Seasonings such as oregano, granulated garlic, Parmesan cheese, and red chili peppers are frequently used.
In 1905, one of the first pizzerias in the United States to sell Brooklyn- and New York-style pizza opened its doors.It was initially a grocery business owned and operated by Gennaro Lombardi and Antonio Totonno Pero, who still owns and operates it now.The Lombardi or Totonno would ask how much they could pay for a slice of pizza if they were unable to pay for a complete pie at the time, and the customer would be given a slice in proportion to their payment.Totonno quit the company in 1924 to open his own Brooklyn pizzeria on Coney Island.It was in 2006 when Domino’s Pizza introduced its take on the Brooklyn-style pizza.
Cornmeal was baked into the crust, and a mixture of shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese was strewn across the top.In addition, Domino’s cuts the pizza into six slices rather than eight.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM REFERENCE.COM
Domino’s Brooklyn Style Pizza: What To Know Before Ordering
- ″Go large or go home,″ according to the Domino’s website, in reference to its Brooklyn Style pizza, which is a very true description of this particular menu item.
- Domino’s Brooklyn Style pie, which is typical of New York style pizza, has bigger slices that allow consumers to fold their pizza and enjoy it as if they were a genuine inhabitant of New York.
- This traditional pie, which is only available in two sizes, big and extra large, is sure to be a crowd pleaser; but what exactly is it, and how does it vary from the other pizza selections on the Domino’s menu?
- The crust is the most distinguishing feature of Domino’s Brooklyn Style pizza, and it is also the most expensive.
- ″Those who want a bit less dough than what you find with our famous Hand Tossed pizza, but a touch more dough than our Crunchy Thin Crust alternatives,″ according to the business, would enjoy it.
- In order to create the ideal Brooklyn slice, Domino’s personnel must hand-stretch the dough to ensure that it is the proper size and consistency.
What’s on the pizza?
- The variety of toppings available on Domino’s Brooklyn Style pizzas is as wide as the city of New York itself, but the dough, as previously said, is the most significant distinction between this pie and other options on the menu, rather than the toppings.
- Domino’s recommends starting with the standard tomato sauce and mozzarella selections on its website, but emphasizes that consumers can customize their pizzas anyway they see fit.
- Custom orders for Brooklyn Style crust can also be placed for any of Domino’s speciality pizzas that are currently available.
- In addition to being sliced into six large slices, the Brooklyn Style pizza has the benefit of accommodating more toppings since it is cut into six huge pieces.
- When compared to Domino’s original pies, Serious Eats characterizes the chain’s Brooklyn Style crust as ″surprisingly thin, fairly crunchy, and more lighter and airier,″ according to the publication.
- According to the establishment, the Brooklyn Style pizza is coated with cornmeal on the bottom, which adds an extra crispy flavor to the dish.
What does Domino’s Brooklyn Style pizza taste like?
- As a result, the flavor of Domino’s Brooklyn style pizza will vary significantly based on the toppings and sauce that you choose to add on top of it.
- The Brooklyn Style crust is thin and crunchy, but it is not quite as crispy as the chain’s Crunchy Thin crust option, which is available for an additional charge.
- The Brooklyn Style pizza dough does not include any garlic, in contrast to Domino’s regular Hand Tossed pizza crust.
- It is also stated on the Bacino’s Pizza website that the Brooklyn Style pizzas have less cheese than the Hand Tossed option, however you may always order more cheese to make up for this shortfall.
- Domino’s offers a variety of sauces, including the standard tomato, honey bbq, and alfredo, among others, and you may choose whether you want the sauce applied in light, average, or additional quantities (according to Domino’s).
- Any of the chain’s toppings (such as Italian sausage, banana peppers, buffalo sauce, mushrooms, or feta cheese) are available, but you can’t go wrong with the classic pepperoni and cheese combination.
What does the pizza cost?
- Shutterstock An extra large Brooklyn Style pizza at Domino’s costs $11.99.
- A large Brooklyn Style pizza at Domino’s costs $9.99, according to Fast Food Menu Prices.
- The large is described on the Domino’s website as being ideal for three to five people, and the extra large as being suitable for five to six people.
- When you break it down per serving size, there aren’t many better offers to be found on the market.
- Even better, depending on your geographic region, you may be able to take advantage of a discount through the coupons part of the company’s website, which offers both national and local promotions to customers.
- The pizza may be shared between a group of people for a price that is roughly the same as the slices you’ll find on the streets of New York City.
With costs like these, you’ll be relieved to hear that the Brooklyn Style pizza will not be a one-time only item on the menu.You can bank on this choice to be there when you have a desire because it is now part of Domino’s normal menu, and the pizza business has made no indication that it will be removed any time soon.
Is Domino’s Brooklyn Style pizza nutritious?
- Shutterstock In accordance with the Domino’s Nutrition Guide, an extra large Brooklyn Style pizza with marinara sauce and the regular quantity of cheese contains 2,490 calories, which translates to around 415 calories per slice.
- The big size has 1,620 calories, which is 270 calories each slice.
- Keep in mind that these are large slices of pizza, so the nutritional value of Domino’s Brooklyn Style pizza isn’t all that different from the other selections available at the restaurant chain.
- ) (Domino’s Thin Crust Veggie Pizza with light cheese is just 135 calories, if that is something that concerns you.) In comparison to the hand-tossed choice, Domino’s Brooklyn Style pizza offers fewer calories, salt, carbs, saturated fats, and sugar because of its thinner crust.
- You may of course make your pizza a bit more nutritional by ordering it with light cheese or sauce, or by foregoing some of the heavier toppings such as bacon or pepperoni, for example.
- The bottom line is that Domino’s Brooklyn Style pizza is about the most healthy slice of pizza you can get for your money; yet, as is the case with so much of this customized pizza, it all comes down to the toppings you choose.
What is Brooklyn style pizza?
- The name ″Brooklyn style pizza″ was coined in 2006 by the Domino’s Pizza Company, an American pizza distribution company.
- They created a new kind of pizza, which they dubbed ″Brooklyn style.″ It is a type of pizza with a crust that is thinner than other types of pizza.
- In order to make the crust more crunchy, cornmeal is fried into it.
- It is customary to cut the Brooklyn style pizza into six slices, which are topped with pepperoni.
How is Brooklyn Style Pizza different from other pizza styles?
The origins of the Brooklyn style pizza may be traced back to Italy. Despite its Italian origins, the pizza has gained popularity on Indian beaches as well as in New York City’s Times Square. In the United States, it is commonly referred to as ″American pizza.″ When compared to other pizzas, it is distinctive and excellent. Here are a few examples of how it differs from other systems:
The crust can be folded
- Unlike other types of pizza, which have deep crusts, the Brooklyn style pizza’s crust is thin, crunchier, and has a lighter, airier texture.
- When it comes to toppings, the Brooklyn style is more balanced when compared to the Chicago version, which has a soup-like aspect to it.
- The proportions of the sauce, crust, and toppings are all balanced.
- Despite the fact that the crust is thin, it is nevertheless soft and easy to bite into with your teeth.
- When compared to a typical pizza, the slices are significantly larger.
- Due to the thinness of the crust, it may be folded in half and eaten that way.
Because of the size of the crust, it is easily transportable.The item may simply be carried around with you wrapped in paper.
Easy to customize
- It is simple to make changes to the Brooklyn pizza to suit your preferences.
- You have the option of topping your pizza with pepperoni and cheese, or you may stick with the conventional method.
- If you like, you can get creative with the toppings, such as sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, and bacon, to make a truly unique dish.
- In addition, you have complete control over the content of your pizza.
- For example, if you are sensitive to certain dietary ingredients such as gluten, you can eat gluten-free pizza instead of regular pizza.
- If you are unable to consume dairy ingredients, ask for a Brooklyn style pizza that does not contain cheese.
You will never be without a slice of pizza that suits your preferences.
Where in New York can you find Brooklyn style pizza?
Brooklyn style pizza is only available at a few locations in New York City. The locations are as follows:
For decades, Totonno’s Pizza has been a fixture in Coney Island’s nightlife scene. When you come here, you will be treated to some of the best Brooklyn style pizza around.
Juliana’s Pizza is the place to go if you’re in the mood for some authentic Brooklyn style pizza. You’ll discover all of the pizza varieties you might want, as well as a setting that’s appropriate for a family supper.
Di Fara Pizza
Since 1965, the Di Fara Pizza has been a fixture in New York City. There are two locations, one in Williamsburg and the other in Midwood, where you may shop. They are owned and operated by individuals and groups of people. The most exciting aspect is that Di Fara’s Brooklyn pizza can be ordered online and delivered anywhere in the country.
Lucali’s pizza is considered to be one of the greatest in New York. When it comes to pizza, it is recognized as the number one eating establishment in New York and the second best in the United States. You won’t want to miss out on this New York pizza establishment.
Giuseppina’s Brooklyn Pizza
This restaurant is known for serving the greatest brick-oven pizza. It is controlled by the same family that controls Lucali. The pizzeria is also well-known for its excellent cuisine.
Emmy Squared in Brooklyn
Emmy squared is a pizza business that specializes in rectangle-shaped pizza. The crust of the pizza is topped with a layer of rich, melty mozzarella. Also available is the Hula Hog, which is a burger topped with mozzarella, pineapple, bacon, and chiles.
Speedy Romeo Brooklyn
A old car body shop has been converted into a meeting space. Speedy Romeo is well-known for delivering crispy and thin wood-fired pizzas to customers. Although it is well-known for its multi-cheese pizza, it also serves marinara-based pizza, which is a more typical option for customers.
What is the difference between Brooklyn Style Pizza and hand-tossed pizza?
The most noticeable distinction between Brooklyn style pizza and hand-tossed pizza is that the dough and crust on the Brooklyn style pizza are thinner and crunchier than those on the hand-tossed pizza. The crust on the hand-tossed pizza is thicker and chewier than the crust on the machine-tossed pizza.
- Brooklyn-style pizzas are available in a range of flavors that you may experiment with.
- You should not be restricted to a single flavor preference.
- Find something that suits your preferences and have a good time with it.
- In case you are planning a trip to New York, there are several locations where you may sample Brooklyn style pizza.
- Because it is portable, you can either eat the pizza on the spot or carry it with you to your destination!
What is Brooklyn-Style Pizza? (Why It’s So Different?)
- When we talk about pizza, the three main components are the crust, the toppings, and the sauce.
- In spite of the fact that it originated in Italy, pizza has spread all over the world and undergone several modifications; as a result, diversity is the spice of life in the pizza world.
- Only in America are there more than three different kinds and varieties of pizza, ranging from Chicago pizza to Detroit pizza, but what is it about Brooklyn style pizza that makes it so unique?
- Before discussing the history of Brooklyn pizza, it is necessary to discuss the history of New York pizza, which is considered to be the birthplace of pizza in the United States.
- You can’t talk about pizza without mentioning Italy, and pizza was brought to the United States of America by an Italian immigrant in the early 1900s.
- It began in the city of New York in the year 1897 by an immigrant pizzaiolo in Napels and was officially licensed eight years later, according to some sources.
Others claim it began in the year 1905 by Gennaro Lombardi.When Pizzerias first opened, they used coal-fired ovens, with cheese in the bottom and sauce on top of the pizza.In the city of New York, there are currently over 200 pizzerias to choose from.
Where did the Brooklyn Style of Pizza originate from?
- There is a popular belief that the Brooklyn style evolved from the New York style.
- It is made with a hand-tossed basic type of dough that is softly coated with tomato sauce and topped with dry, grated, full-day Mozzarella cheese before being baked in the oven.
- The crust is produced from high-gluten bread, and it is even said that the taste comes from the water that is used to make the crust.
- Besides having the same size range as New York-style pizza (about 18 to 45 inches), it also has similar toppings and the same eating method.
- Both pizzas are hand-tossed to ensure that the correct dough is produced.
- The crispiness of the crust and the amount of mozzarella utilized make the difference.
What makes up a typical Brooklyn Pizza?
- One of the current pizza kinds that is closely connected to the parent Italia type, Brooklyn pizza is frequently mentioned by numerous food fans.
- It is one of the modern pizza types that is commonly spoken about by various food enthusiasts.
- It is sometimes debatable whether the best sort of pizza is the traditional and popular New York pizza or the hand-tossed domino pizza.
- As a result of the large quantity of fat in a standard Brooklyn-style pizza, it is not recommended for those over the age of 50.
- People who suffer from health problems are recommended to avoid consuming items with a high fat concentration.
- Others, on the other hand, should consume food in moderation.
Pizza consumption in moderation has been proven to aid in the destruction of many minute throat cancer causative agents, according to scientists.In general, Brooklyn pizza is distinguished from other types of pizza by its distinctive dough type, cheese composition, and variety of toppings.
How is Brooklyn Pizza made?
There are various components and processes that must be followed from the oven to your table before your crispy round pack of pizza is created. The beauty of Brooklyn pizza is demonstrated in this Munchies film.
- Brooklyn-style pizza dough is created by stretching out a dough ball from the smallest to the largest size possible in order to obtain an average Brooklyn pizza size.
- An extra-large Brooklyn pizza can be made from a little dough ball, and a big dough ball can be made from a small dough ball.
- The cornmeal dusting on the bottom of the crust gives the baked dough a thin and crispy mouth-watering quality, which is made possible by the liberal use of cornmeal on the bottom of the crust.
- Surprisingly, the thin crust is delivered partly cooked and with more fat than usual, despite the fact that fat is the agent responsible for the crispiness.
- The toppings differ from person to person in terms of flavor, however the cheese is the most prominent of the toppings.
- Brooklyn pizza is made using a half-and-half Mozzarella mix and a half-and-half Provolone blend, with the Provolone blend being somewhat more prominent than the Mozzarella blend.
- It’s a 55 percent to 45 percent split in this case.
- The Hand-tossed pizza, on the other hand, employs 90 percent more cheese than mozzarella and is neither overly cheesy nor too sour.
- That is so corny now.
- Olives, green peppers, garlic, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, meatballs, sausages, and basil leaves are some of the suggested toppings for a traditional flavor that is more common these days.
- Some people demand additional cheese, which might be considered an additional topping.
- If you like a more classic pizza style, there are several toppings that most real Brooklyn pizza fans do not consider, such as pineapple, hotdogs, duck sausage, kale, goat cheese, plain meat, and pop sweets, which are all popular in the city.
- However, because there are no essential toppings for a Brooklyn-style pizza, this may be customized to suit the individual’s preferences.
How should Brooklyn Style Pizza be served?
- Unlike other thick-dough pizzas, such as those served in New York, their pizzas are sliced into 8 or 16 triangles, depending on the instruction given by their proprietors.
- Slices of a typical Brooklyn pizza are used to make this dish.
- This is because the pizza has a thin crust, which makes it more palatable.
- When a hot and steamy pizza is placed inside a box for delivery, the covering steams the pizza, limiting the amount of crust that remains on the pizza.
- Because Brooklyn Pizza is notorious for being thin, reducing the crustiness will inevitably result in the pizza being floppy.
- At the same time, it is practically difficult to consume an entirely cut-up, thin, floppy pizza slice without it collapsing.
As a result, the square cutting minimizes the likelihood of breaking, which is more likely if the material is cut triangularly.You might give your pizza delivery man specific instructions for a triangular cut because many customers prefer their pizza in the shape of their choice.
How should it be eaten?
- Eating a Brooklyn pizza is traditionally accomplished by folding it into a shape that fits into one’s mouthhole.
- Folding ensures that the toppings are well distributed, and one-way eating allows all of the nutrients to combine at the same time.
- Using a fork and knife to cut into a pizza at a typical Brooklyn pizzeria is regarded strange.
- Other stores, on the other hand, may be disregarded.
- You may also see how it is consumed by other people.
Where should I get my Brooklyn Style pizza?
- Before placing an order for a Brooklyn pizza, pick between two potential servers.
- Do you want it from a prominent fast-food restaurant such as Pizza Hut or Domino’s, or do you prefer it from a classic pizzeria like Papa John’s?
- Without a certain, a traditional pizzeria will supply you with high-quality food because their primary goal is not simply to make money, but also to share their culture and beliefs with you through food and drink.
- This is in contrast to the commercial food merchandisers, whose primary goal is to serve the greatest number of clients possible within the following 24 hours.
- Most traditional pizzerias do not accept takeaway or reservations; instead, dining in the business is required in order to fully immerse yourself in the culture, activities, and physical value that accompany your pizza.
- It is recommended that you attend one if you have a strong interest in culture.
For those who are looking for a quick snack, the commercially packaged options are your best bet.Choose any of those two options, depending on your environment, distance, or financial situation, and enjoy a delicious slice of pizza.
5 Best Pizza Shops in Brooklyn
In Brooklyn, there are a number of traditional pizza restaurants that specialize in making pizza from scratch. These include:
1. Juliana’s Pizzeria
- Juliana’s Pizzeria, which is located at 5064 4th Avenue in the Rosemont Shopping Center, is one of the greatest two rival pizza restaurants in Brooklyn, created by Grimaldi and has been in operation for more than eight years.
- A travel advisor review dubbed this establishment ″the finest pizza shop in America.″ They do not accept bookings or take orders for takeaway.
- They also have a limited selection of vegetarian pizzas on their menu.
2. Grimaldi’s Pizzeria
- To make a long story short, they were both created by the same Grimaldi who was responsible for Juliana’s pizzeria.
- This pizzeria has been in operation for more than a century and is now one of the few fried pizza establishments that still prepares pizza using coal ovens for the customers.
- They operate under nearly the same restrictions as Juliana and are positioned just next door to one another.
3. Roberta’s Pizzeria
Roberta’s Pizzeria is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Bushwick, and it has propelled the neighborhood to the forefront of the tourism industry. They are one of the older establishments that still uses the wood-oven method of cooking. They were also suspected of being involved in an alt-right scheme involving a pizza gate.
4. Lucali Brooklyn
- Because of its extensive menu, it is one of the most highly rated pizzerias in the city of New York.
- They have enormous pizzas and tiny calzones to choose from.
- Because of their opulent appearance, they are well-known for providing the ideal dating setting.
- A number of celebrities have also been observed at this location.
- Food Insider presents a film that demonstrates why Lucali pizzeria is considered to be one of the greatest in Brooklyn.
5. Totonno’s Pizzeria Napolitano
- Food Network has ranked it as the best restaurant in the world.
- Totonno’s Pizzeria is a family-owned establishment that has been in operation since 1924, making it the oldest continuously operating pizzeria in the United States.
- A popular reason for its popularity is the simplicity of its menu, which offers a diverse selection of cuisine that includes traditional Margherita, Neopolitan; no wine, no cheese delicacy; and Bianca, among other things.
- They provide space for a variety of meal combinations and are known to only take cash payments.
- Thursday through Saturday are the only days that they are open.
- Table 87, Speedy Romeo, Di Fara, Emily, Giuseppina’s, and other prominent establishments are also included.
- Despite the fact that the history of pizza is deeply rooted in the use of animal products, new vegetarian pizzas are being produced to satisfy the needs of vegetarians.
- For example, in addition to the regular cheese that is currently available, a plant-friendly cheese substitute has been developed.
- In addition to the many sorts and flavors available, the Brooklyn style pizza is one of the greatest; why not embark on an excursion to one of the prominent traditional pizzerias to sample some of the best culturally infused cuisine available.
- Besides dough and toppings, pizza includes knowledge of cooking techniques as well as knowledge of history and culture.
What is Brooklyn pizza? Explained with Tips
In this essay, I’ll explain what Brooklyn style pizza is and how it’s made. Pizza is extremely popular all around the world, including, of course, in the United States. It’s no surprise that there are now many different styles of pizza, with Brookly style being one of the most popular.
What is a Brooklyn style pizza?
- Brooklyn-style pizza is a variety of pizza that has its origins in the New York borough of Brooklyn.
- It gained popularity as a result of the influx of Italian immigrants who settled in the region and carried their family recipes with them.
- There are other variants on ″Brooklyn-style″ pizza, but the thin crust pie prepared with fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce is what most people think of when they hear the word.
- More information on what constitutes Brooklyn style pizza may be found in our recent blog post:
Brief history of pizza
- Pizza was first served on the streets of Italy during the 18th century by a person known as a pizzaiolo, who was a street vendor selling pizza.
- It gained popularity in other regions of Europe and finally found its way to the United States.
- Pizza made its way to the United States in the twentieth century, when Italians began to settle in what is now the borough of Brooklyn.
- As a result, the name ″Brooklyn style″ became widespread, which refers to thin-crust pizza topped with fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce that is made in the Brooklyn neighborhood.
- It was Gennaro Lombardi and his restaurant, Lombardi’s, who first introduced Brooklyn style pizza to the world.
- Lombardi’s opened its doors in 1905, making it the country’s first pizzeria.
What makes brooklyn style pizza different from other pizzas?
- Brooklyn style pizza is distinguished by a number of distinguishing traits that distinguish it from other types of pizza.
- It’s much different from what you’d find on a New York Style or Neapolitan Pizza.
- In the case of a Brooklyn-style pie, for example, the crust is always thin and crispy.
- The sauce for this sort of pizza is normally made from fresh, crushed tomatoes, and the cheese used for it must be mozzarella.
- Brooklyn Style Pizza may also feature what some people refer to as a ″cornicione,″ or crust edge, which may contain what is described as ″bubbles and blisters.″ Brooklyn Style Pizza is a type of pizza that originated in Brooklyn, New York.
- As a result of the thin crust, the pizza is referred to as a ″flatbread,″ and it has a feel that some would describe as open and airy.
Many Brooklynites believe that the quality of this thin pizza crust can make or break the entire pie, and they are correct.The fact that brooklyn style pizza has what many refer to as a ″genuine Italian taste″ is one of the reasons it is so popular.Because of its widespread appeal, Brooklyn-style pizza may now be found in many other regions of the world.
Brooklyn style pizza dough
The fact that brooklyn style pizza has what many refer to as a ″genuine Italian taste″ is one of the reasons it is so popular. While it comes to the crust, Brooklyn-style pizzas have what some would call a unique texture and are recognized for their thinness, which gives them a unique chewing feel when eating.
Brooklyn style pizza topings
- The toppings are relatively similar to those seen in other varieties, however they are simpler.
- It consists of what most people would consider to be the standard toppings that go into making everyone’s favorite pizza.
- In addition to the traditional tomato foundation, this variety includes mozzarella and provolone cheeses.
- Brooklyn style, on the other hand, is distinguished by the fact that it is quite light on the sauce.
Is Brooklyn style pizza the best?
- This is an extremely divisive subject matter.
- Many people believe that the ingredients in the dough and the kind of sauce determine whether a pizza is excellent or awful.
- Today, there are several locations where you can have Brooklyn-style pizza all around the world.
- Every restaurant will provide a somewhat different pizza.
- It is entirely up to you if you like Brooklyn-style pizza over other types of pizza.
Ingredients you’ll need for a Brooklyn-style pie :
- Brooklyn style pizza is distinguished by its thin crust, which distinguishes it from other types of pizza.
- Having said that, the components are what give the dish its distinct flavor, which is praised by many.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese is frequently used in Brooklyn-style pizza, rather than shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Fresh basil leaves or oregano can be sprinkled on top.
- The dough, of course, is what makes or breaks a fantastic pizza experience.
- To make this, you’ll need yeast, flour, sugar, and salt, among other ingredients.
This is responsible for the dough’s rising and giving it its texture.Before you can use the dough to make a pizza pie, you’ll need to knead it for around ten minutes.The sauce that is served on top of the meal is what binds all of the components together into one delicious dish!
What is Brooklyn style pizza crust?
- Dough: The most noticeable difference between Brooklyn style pizza and traditional pizza is the use of a Brooklyn style pizza crust.
- When comparing Brooklyn style pizza to other types of pies, the dough that is utilized is what distinguishes it.
- Brooklyn style crusts are often thin and crispy, however the texture varies from restaurant to restaurant depending on where you go.
- Some restaurants may make their pies thicker or thinner than others, and their pies may have a somewhat different flavor profile as well.
- Whatever the case, no matter where you go, Brooklyn style should always have that crispy crust that you bite into when you bite into it.
Brooklyn style vs thin crust?
Unlike the typical Brooklyn-style pizza, the thin crust pizza has a significantly thinner crust. That is the most significant distinction between them.
Is domino’s Brooklyn-style pizza good?
For its pies, Domino’s employs a thin crust, which means that they aren’t regarded Brooklyn style by many people. However, the delicious sauce and cheese, along with the crispy surface, make it a dish that should be tried at least once if you haven’t before.
Brooklyn style vs hand-tossed pizza
When the pizza dough is physically flung in the air and spun around before being placed on a pan, it is referred to as ″hand-tossed.″ The crust on this kind of pizza is often thicker than the crust on a Brooklyn style pizza, for example.
How to serve Brooklyn style pizza?
Brooklyn style pizza is often served in what we refer to as a ″pie″ form, which means that it is sliced into squares rather than the usual rectangular slices seen on most pizzas. This includes the large and little pepperoni pies, which are quite popular among many people all across New York City because of their delicious flavor and texture.
How to eat Brooklyn-style pizza?
A Brooklyn-style pizza is best eaten by cutting it into what we call ″heel″ pieces, which are the smallest bits. In most cases, they are the last bits of the dish that have been topped with all of your favorite ingredients and are also wonderful. This sort of pie is equally delicious when served cold straight from the refrigerator!
- After reading this, you should be familiar with the term ″Brooklyn-style pizza.″ As you might understand, they differ significantly depending on the establishment that prepares them.
- Remember to experiment with a few different flavors before making a final decision!
- My name is Jane, and I am the owner and operator of ButteryPan.com!
- I’ve always been a major food lover, and cooking has always been a pastime of mine, so this came easy to me.
- There are a plethora of recipes available, but there aren’t nearly enough tips, instructions, and answers to some of the most fundamental culinary issues – this is what butterypan.com is all about – addressing your questions fast so that you can go back to cooking immediately!
- View all of Jane Wilkins’s blog postings.
Brooklyn Style Pizza – What Is It And Why Is It Unique
- Pizza is the second most popular dinner in the world, behind only hamburgers. Pizza is a dish that is so well-known and adaptable that there are several variations and sorts available. Pizza is enjoyed and consumed by many people all over the world, with the majority of people eating it on a weekly basis. It should come as no surprise that pizza, which originated in Italy, has experienced several modifications and variations over time. Some establishments are distinguished by the fact that they serve a particular variety of pizza. In the case of Brooklyn style pizza, the same applies. The kind of dough, thickness, and thinness, as well as the type of sauce and toppings, may all contribute to the uniqueness of the pizza. This article will discuss the distinctive elements of Brooklyn pizza, as well as what distinguishes it from other forms of pizza. You might be interested in some of the other types of pizza listed below. Authentic St Louis Style Pizza
- Quad Cities Pizza
- Ohio Valley Pizza
- Artisan Pizza
- New York Style Pizza
- New Haven Style Pizza
- Greek Style Pizza
- Colorado Style Pizza
- California Style Pizza
- Sicilian Pizza
- Authentic St Louis Style Pizza
- Authentic Quad Cities Pizza
- Artisan Pizza
What is Brooklyn Style Pizza
- The Brooklyn style pizza is created to mimic the way the people of Brooklyn cooked their pizza and the toppings they loved to have on their pizza.
- In 2006, the pizza business Dominos Pizza came up with the moniker ″Dominos Pizza.″ The world has taken notice of this pizza, and it has become fashionable since that time.
- Some people may be perplexed as to what the distinction is between a conventional pizza and a Brooklyn style pizza.
- The distinction is in the crust, the topping, and the size of the pie.
- Allow us to break it down for you in the sections below.
- The Brooklyn Style pizza, in contrast to the traditional pizza, has a thin crunchy crust that splits slightly on the bottom as it is folded in half.
- Unlike the Brooklyn pizza, which has a thin crust, the normal pizzas have a thick crust and are generally soggy rather than crispy.
- The crust for this pizza is produced with fresh dough, which has been stretched to allow it to be even thinner than usual.
- In case you are the sort that enjoys less dough on his or her pizza, this thin-crusted pizza is one you should definitely check out.
- It is because of the cornmeal that has been added to the dough that the crust has such a crispy texture.
- You will be able to enjoy a thin crust that is both simple to eat and convenient to transport.
You might assume that because the crust is thin, the pie will be dry and crumbly.This, however, is not the case.Despite the fact that the crust is thin, it is still soft, and you can bite into it and still get that lovely, great sensation in your stomach.In addition, the crust and the toppings are in a well-balanced proportion.The crust does not become soggy and heavy when compared to the toppings, and the toppings do not become heavier when compared to the crust.
This delicate balance between the crust and the toppings is a delicate skill that must be practiced and polished.This is one of the aspects that distinguishes this pizza from the ordinary and sets it apart from the competition.Another notable feature of this pizza is that it can be folded.This is a first in the industry.
Because of its size, you may fold it, which makes it easier for you to consume while on the go.You will escape the tension of opening your mouth too wide and feeling uncomfortable as a result.You are aware that you may go to a restaurant and get a pizza for yourself, and if you are unable to complete it, you can ask for it to be packed up for you.One of the best things about this pizza is that it is light and portable, especially when packaged in a foil or paper bag for transportation.
The thinness of the crust, as well as the balance between the topping and the crust, making it easy to transport and carry around with you.When you purchase your pizza, the dough is generally sliced into six large slices, unless you specifically request differently when placing your order.If you want large, enormous slices of pizza, you will enjoy the typical portions served at Brooklyn Pizza.They are only divided into six slices, but they are noticeably larger than the usual pizzas, which are divided into eight pieces.
- The toppings on the Brooklyn pizza are evenly distributed from the center of the crust to the edges of the crust.
- This is in contrast to traditional pizzas, which allow some room around the edges.
- The cheese is made by blending half skim milk and half full milk together.
- The mozzarella and provolone cheeses are shredded and sprinkled on top of the pie dough before baking.
- Additionally, you may choose to forego the usual topping in favor of pepperoni instead of mozzarella.
- Pepperoni is cut thinly in a circular pattern and combined with cheese to make pizza.
Alternatively, you may personalize your pizza by adding any of the toppings that you choose.If you have any health constraints or challenges, you may request a gluten-free crust, and you will still receive the crunch that you like from your pizza.You can also choose to exclude the mozzarella and Provolone cheeses from the recipe.If you are allergic to cheese, you can have these ingredients removed from your pizza.
Is the Brooklyn Thin Crust Healthy?
- When it comes to eating, we sometimes have to pick between our want for a certain flavor and our desire for good health.
- For the Brooklyn style pizza to keep its thinness and crispy texture, a substantial amount of fat is required.
- By contrast with traditional pizza crusts, Brooklyn style pizza crusts have much higher fats, as seen by the table below.
- In addition, because of the combination of provolone cheese and mozzarella cheese, the Brooklyn style pizza is more oily due to the fats contained inside the cheese mixture.
- Despite the fact that the Domino’s pizza franchise has popularized the term ″Brooklyn Style pizza,″ the company cannot claim ownership of the pizza style or claim to have the original recipe for the pie.
- As part of their brand marketing plan, Domino’s made this style popular, which has shown to be beneficial in the long run.
- Even before it became popular, this dish was being served in a number of eateries in Brooklyn.
- As a result, it is impossible to ascribe the Brooklyn style of pizza to a single individual.
- In addition, different eateries who produce Pizza the Brooklyn style employ a variety of cheese, meat, and sauce toppings to create their pizza.
- Any cuisine that is consumed across the world and is considered to be the second most renowned food will certainly undergo some alterations, or something new and interesting may be added to it.
- It’s possible you’ve heard of Detroit-style pizza or Chicago deep-dish pizza as well as Brooklyn style pizza; they are both varieties of pizzas that are served in the cities of Detroit and Chicago, respectively.
- The Brooklyn style pizza was created to cater to the preferences of the people of Brooklyn when it came to their crust.
- And this has extended to a variety of locations, to the delight of a large number of people.
- If you have never had this pizza before, I strongly advise you to give it a try.
- Keep in mind that variety is the spice of life.
- It is possible that you may come to admire this one-of-a-kind pizza and perhaps become attached to it.
What is Brooklyn style pizza?
- What is Brooklyn style pizza, and where can you get it?
- When compared to the hand-tossed pizza, the Brooklyn-style pizza is less gummy and fluffier.
- A very thin crust pizza with a crispier flavor and a less doughy crust is what this is instead of.
- In addition, the Brooklyn-style pizza is lighter in weight than the hand-tossed pizza.
- Actually, the Brooklyn pizza can be folded in the manner of a genuine New Yorker.
- also What is the name of the beef topping at Domino’s Pizza?
- Beef is a mild and adaptable topping for many dishes.
- If you’re looking for a delicious pizza, Domino’s is the place to go.
- We make the ExtravaganZZa Feast® pizza by combining ground beef with a generous amount of pepperoni, ham (or Italian sausage), green peppers, mushrooms, and black olives, all topped with additional 100 percent genuine mozzarella cheese.
- What is it about New Yorkers that makes them fold their pizza?
Generally speaking, ″New York pieces are rather huge,″ Weiner explains.According to the chef, ″they’re larger than the dish on which they’re presented.″ It is for this reason that you must fold them.When it comes to crust, he notes that ″if you don’t give it any architecture, you’ll get the flop.″
Does Domino’s have Detroit style pizza?
Domino’s has yet to produce a pizza in the manner of Detroit. A spokeswoman said that while ″our Pan Pizza similarly has sauce and cheese extending all the way to the edge,″ it is ″round rather than square.″ ″We don’t consider ours to be Detroit style, and we certainly don’t refer to it as such.
What Domino’s pizza comes in a black box?
Domino’s, on the other hand, always utilizes fresh dough that has never been frozen. In order to emphasize this, CP+B designed an almost all-black box (along with entertaining information) that serves as a visual reminder that the pizza inside is produced by hand and cooked in a baking pan.
Does Dominos use real beef?
- To ensure that the meat and poultry ingredients used in Domino’s products are of the highest quality, the company purchases pork, beef, and poultry ingredients from suppliers who source their products from farmers and ranchers who raise and care for their animals in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines as well as industry best practices with the assistance of farm animal veterinarians.
Is Domino’s sausage beef or pork?
It is made up of pork, seasoning (which is made up of spices, salt, corn syrup, paprika, garlic powder, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, BHA, BHT, and citric acid), water, and sodium tripolyphosphate, among other things.
What are different pizza toppings?
- The Top 10 Pizza Toppings You Should Know About Pepperoni, mushroom, extra cheese, sausage, onion, black olives, green pepper, and fresh garlic are some of the toppings available.
Do French people eat pizza with a fork and knife?
Food is not eaten with your hands, with the exception of bread and/or french fries, which are consumed with your hands. French people will use a knife and fork to consume things such as pizza, burgers, and all other meals that we would normally eat with our hands, such as soup.
What city folds their pizza?
You fold your pizza because there isn’t any other way to consume a slice of pizza. Despite the fact that there are several ways to consume pizza, New Yorkers always fold their pizza (unless they’re Donald Trump).
How do Italians eat pizza?
Pizza is traditionally eaten with a fork and knife in Italy. Pizza should be eaten as soon as it comes out of the oven and while it is still hot. Waiting for your supper to cool down is simply not an option — according to procedure, it should be consumed immediately after preparation. As a result, if you grab a hot piece of pizza, you’re asking for a burn.
What is the difference between Chicago and Detroit-style pizza?
A Chicago-style slice is built atop a flaky, thin, deep crust that is comparable to that of a regular pie in texture and flavor. Detroit-style pizza, on the other hand, is distinguished by a thick and fluffy crust evocative of focaccia. Instead, the crust of a Chicago-style pizza is buttery and thick, and it is stretched over the sides of a round pie pan rather than being folded over.
What is the difference between Detroit and Sicilian pizza?
Detroit-style pizza is a big, square-cut pizza with a crispy, fried bottom layer of dough that is oozing with luscious melted cheese….. Sicilian pizza, formerly known as ″sfincione,″ which translates as ″small sponge,″ has a fluffier bread foundation than most other types of pizza in the United States.
Why is it called Detroit-style pizza?
A single individual is responsible for the development of Detroit-style pizza, which is a descendant of Sicilian-style pizza…. He enlisted the assistance of his wife, Anna, who used a dough recipe that she had inherited from her Sicilian mother. Sicilian-style dough, topped with cheese and tomato sauce, would eventually become the standard for pizza in the Motor City.
What is the black thing on pizza?
Sliced black olives are mostly used as a topping on sandwiches and pizzas, as well as to flavor pastas and other dishes.
Which is best hand tossed or pan pizza?
Slicing black olives is mostly used as a topping on sandwiches and pizzas, but they may also be used to flavor pastas and sauces, among other things.
What is dominos crunchy thin crust?
The Crunchy Thin Crust pizza has the thinnest crust of any Domino’s pizza. This makes it an excellent choice for those who like the flavor of their toppings to overpower the dough. You may also divide the Crunchy Thin Crust pizza in half and customize the toppings on each half separately, as seen in the picture. It’s a quick and easy lunch that’s sure to please the entire family.
Does Domino’s have eggs in the crust?
In accordance with the ingredient information provided on the website, there are no eggs in any of their pizza crusts (Brooklyn, Deep Dish Crust, Hand Tossed Crust, Crunchy Thin Crust). … According to the allergy information on their website, their Cinastix and Breadsticks do not contain eggs.
Does Domino’s use peanut oil?
The following ingredients are not found in our products: pizza crusts, pizza sauce, pizza cheese (with the exception of beef), chicken kickers, chicken wings (with the exception of beef), bread side items (with the exception of bread), and salads (with the exception of salads). We do not use peanuts, peanut oils, or tree nuts in any of our products (including pizza crusts).
Does Domino’s use real cheese?
Beware of imitation cheese; we use real cheese! Please be assured that our Veg and Non-Veg Pizzas are manufactured with the highest quality 100 percent genuine mozzarella cheese, which is prepared from fresh milk, and that we will not compromise on taste or quality.
What cheese does Domino’s use?
The cheese that Domino’s utilizes is a blend of mozzarella, monterey Jack, and white cheddar, all of which are used in equal amounts.
What’s robust inspired tomato sauce?
Domino’s Robust Inspired pizza sauce, which has a thick, zesty taste that is infused with garlic and other unique spices, is the usual pizza sauce for most of the company’s pizza restaurant pies. If you like sauces that are less spicy, the Hearty Marinara sauce is a good choice. Last updated: 4 days ago – 14 co-authors and 14 users have contributed to this work.
What is Brooklyn Style Pizza (Compared with Other Styles of Pizza)
- When ordering pizza, it might be difficult to determine which ″style″ to choose – especially when large companies such as Dominos introduce new types such as Brooklyn-style.
- I’m not sure what this means in terms of meaning.
- Brooklyn style pizza is characterized by a crust that is thinner and crunchier while remaining foldable.
- Hello, there, pizza connoisseurs!
- Hello, my name is Michelle, and I enjoy eating pizza.
- How about you?
- There are a plethora of styles available, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I’ve experimented with them all.
- Today, we’ll be talking about Brooklyn style pizza, which is maybe one of my favorite types of pizza on the face of the globe.
- If you’re from New York, it’s probable that you won’t require my assistance today.
- However, if you’re not from New York, you could find yourself scratching your head when you hear the term ″Brooklyn-style pizza.″ What really is the situation?
This article will provide you with all of the information you want about this delicious variety of pizza.Who’s up for a crash lesson in the art of making Brooklyn-style pizza?
What is Brooklyn Style Pizza?
To characterize Brooklyn-style pizza in its most basic terms, it should be thin and somewhat crispy while yet having enough give to allow for easy folding. To be more specific, this style was designed to be folded.
Brooklyn-Style Pizza is Designed to be Folded
- Why am I saying this?
- For starters, one telltale sign that you’re dealing with a Brooklyn-style pizza is that the slices will be sliced into considerably bigger triangles than the ″standard.″ Because the pizza is larger, there is more room for it to be folded and devoured.
- Is this the appropriate way to eat Brooklyn-style pizza, or am I missing something?
- There are a lot of individuals who will say yes.
- You may find it difficult to eat these long and thin pizzas the ″correct″ manner, even if you don’t agree with the method of preparation.
- Take your time and fold it — no one will be upset with you.
It Comes With More Pepperoni, Too
When it comes to Brooklyn-style pizza, the focus is on the toppings – namely, pepperoni and sausage. Yes, you will still be able to enjoy cheese. However, the Brooklyn-style pizza provides the ideal platform for the placement of pepperonis on the pie. When it comes to pepperoni, this is the option for you if you want it with less cheese.
How is it Different From Hand-Tossed?
- The two are quite similar in appearance, and to be honest, they aren’t that dissimilar in terms of functionality.
- Hand-tossed pizza has a thicker and doughier crust than Brooklyn-style pizza, which is the most noticeable difference between the two types of pizza.
- That is not to suggest, however, that it is a deep dish.
- When you make deep dish pizza, the dough will be extra-thick and fluffy, to the point that it practically need a fork to consume it.
- It will also be available in a square or rectangular shape rather than the traditional circular shape (most of the time).
- Compared to hand-tossed, Brooklyn-style pizza is a little thinner but still has a crisp aspect without being unduly crunchy.
How is it Different From Thin Crust?
- Brooklyn-style pizza, on the other hand, is not overly thin.
- It cannot be compared to thin-crust pizza in any way.
- Thin crust pizza has a texture that is virtually similar to a cracker.
- When you bite into it, you will undoubtedly hear the infamous ″crunch″ when the piece of pizza breaks away from the rest of the pizza.
- When it comes to Brooklyn-style, it is thin, but not so thin that you can’t see through it.
- Not only that, but it won’t fall apart as readily as a thin-crust pizza.
- This makes it the ideal compromise for individuals who don’t want a crust that is too thick, but also don’t want a cracker-like crust.
Okay, pizza connoisseur. You should now understand what Brooklyn-style pizza is. But, if you’re still interested in learning more, I’ve got you covered there as well. Explore these commonly asked questions to learn more about these stunning Brooklyn-style beauties!
What’s the difference between Brooklyn-style pizza and regular pizza?
Regular pizza will have a dough that is slightly thick and gummy, and it will be sliced into equal-sized triangles with a generous amount of toppings. Brooklyn-style pizza is thinner, lighter, airier, and crunchier than traditional pizza. The pizza slices are significantly bigger than ″normal″ pizza slices and are meant to be folded into quarters.
Is Domino’s Brooklyn Style pizza any good?
Really, it all depends on whether or not you enjoy Domino’s Pizza. My own preference is for their traditional style pizza, thus I would be unlikely to love their Brooklyn-style pizza as well. I would admit, though, that I do appreciate Brooklyn-style pizza from other pizza restaurants, which I will discuss further below.
What makes Brooklyn pizza so good?
There are two reasons for this: first, the crust has the correct texture and consistency, and second, the additional pepperonis (and other toppings) are a major success with everyone.
What are the five types of crust at Domino’s?
Five distinct crust styles are available at Domino’s: pan crusts, hand-tossed crusts, thin crusts (including Brooklyn style), gluten-free, and stuffed crusts. Every crust is slightly different from the others, so it’s crucial to know the style of crust you want before selecting the crust that’s appropriate for you.
- Everyone enjoys pizza, but are you a fan of the Brooklyn type of pizza?
- If you want larger slices of pizza that can be folded easily, then Brooklyn-style pizza is the type for you.
- The crust is the right balance of thin without being too thin, while still remaining light, airy, and crunchy at the same time.
- Do you enjoy pizza made in the manner of Brooklyn?
- Since I was a child, I’ve been a huge fan of sweets.
- This prompted me to go on a self-taught baking quest that began when I was thirteen years old.
- Over ten years have passed since I began my baking experiences, and I’ve gained a great deal of knowledge along the road.